Couple of TJ questions

Jason4x4

First off, most of you know I have an '06 TJ Sport (4.0L).

1) My Jeep is very nearly a year old now and has about 12.5k on the clock. When should I realistically start looking at replacing the spark plugs/wires?? Any particular brand/types of plugs/wires you would recommend?

2) Tires. The Jeep came with the 30x9.5" Goodyear Wrangler GS-A's, which are ok...but not great. I aired them down to 20psi at Paragon last weekend and they did better than I expected them to, but I'd love to upgrade to something a) bigger and b) better off-road. However, my TJ will still be seeing most of it's time on-road. I talked to the guy at Mt. Zion Offroad where I had my 2" RE lift installed and he recommended going no bigger than 31" with my current setup - he said 32s would fit but I might have issues with rubbing in off-road situations. Is that correct?

For now, lets assume I end up going with 31s. I previously have mentioned that I'm thinking about BFG Mud-Terrain's. Recently I've also been looking at the Super Swamper TSL and/or the SS Radial/SSR. It looks to me like the Super Swampers might be a little bit better off-road, but how much worse would they be on-road?? My Jeep's not a daily driver, but again most of it's use will be on-road. If anyone can give me some suggestions, it would be appreciated.

Thanks!

First off, most of you know I have an '06 TJ Sport (4.0L).

1) My Jeep is very nearly a year old now and has about 12.5k on the clock. When should I realistically start looking at replacing the spark plugs/wires?? Any particular brand/types of plugs/wires you would recommend?

I change my plugs every 10-15k miles, not so much because they really need it, just because I want to keep them working better and not run the risk of them going bad at an inopportune moment. I use Bosch Platinum Plus-4's and love them. I've always run some type of Bosch Platinum plugs in all of my vehicles, and they all seem to improve performance to some degree. Sorry, but I can't really help you on wires, I don't recall what I'm running on mine, I just know that Advance Auto Parts had 3 types listed for my engine, so I bought the highest priced wires with the best warranty and radio-interference shielding.

Well, my only other automotive experience is with my old Mazda's (I know you guys don't want to hear about imports, sorry). As far as the Mazda's are concerned, I don't consider any wire sets that Autozone/Advace carries to be decent, except for their universal Accel plug wire kits (that a lot of the stores don't even carry anymore). Of course, I race one of my Mazda's, and the other is an ultra-high performance model (turbocharged) with special needs, so maybe I'm just being really picky.

At any rate, I have heard good things about the +4s, but my only concern is there's no way to verify/adjust the gap...and speaking of the gap, what is the 'factory' gap setting for the 4.0?

If you want a good offroad tire with okay road manners, look to the TSL Radial in 32"x10.5", great all around tire that you'll love offroad. It's aggressive, so there is some trade-off in road noise and tire wear.

But will I have rubbing issues with a 32" tire on my 2" spring spacer lift?? That is the question.

My concern would be with the backspacing of your rims, but I've also never had factory rims on either of my Jeeps.

If you're mainly driving on road, get a radial type mud terrain. You won't get the bang for your buck out of the TSL's that you would if you used it more offroad.

You can run 32" tires with only a 2" spacer lift on a TJ. If using stock rims, you'll get slight rubbage of the front tires on the lower control arms at full lock, but no problems.

Consider the 32"x11.5" available in most generic MT Radials, probably fit your use best. Check out the Kuhmo MT and General Grabber.

between those go with the Kuhmo, the generals are great at shucking the tread from the carcass at about 55mph

Back