Dana 44 that match

YJnamedTJ

finally got my rocker guards on...

hello all its me again i know ...but im just trying to figure out what im trying to look for when i go to the junk yard.ive herad that the wagoneer is a close match to the yj axle wise... like width...and all and that it could almost be bolted directly in .... which is what im looking for (cause im not the most mechanicle person but a good book or something to read and look at while im doing it gets me through) :roll: so yeah i would like to have the least amount of tweeking to do to get some d44 or equivilent under my jeep. and i was woundering if there is any one vehicle that will have a d44 front and rear thatll match my yj somewhat ...if you know what i mean ....but yeah thanx for that help guys :?

I got mine out of an 89 Cherokee. It has the same lug pattern and WMS length... (60") I didn't have to change anything but the gears which I was going to change anyways. That would be ideal in your case I think. I believe the Wagoneer has a different WMS, something like 58", I know it's minimal, not certain of the exact length.

Early or full size Bronco.
The full size will be wider. It will be a 9" rear, Dana 44 high pinion front if you are lucky. You will have to change wheels. It will be a good setup though.

Or depending on the tire size you want to run get a 95 or newer D30 and a Ford 8.8.... if your planning on running 33's that would be more than strong enough.

negatively affect smog test?

Late 80's early 90's Wagoneer and Grand Wagoneer will give you front and rear D44's with the least amount of fuss. The front will be the same width as your D30, the rear will be slightly narrower, it will work or you can run 1" wheel spacers. The gears are tall so you'll need to regear both.

Some came with an offset rear diff (quadratrac) so you don't want those. Others came with a HDAMC20 rear axle, big round diff cover, you don't want that either. The late 80's early 90's models will have what you're looking for.

There are some in a junkyard here near St. Louis for under $100 each. Another guy at a local jeepyard wants about $300 for the pair. Either way not bad.

OIL...or lack of...

well i live in richmond va so i really need some places around here to get parts ...if you know of any

Yeah the Wag axles are 6 lug. You need an 80-91(?) Wagoneer to get the proper front and a centered rear. Don't be scared of the AMC20 that came in the back of early 80s Wags unless you plan ultra-low gearing or tires larger than 36" because they have one piece shafts and are pretty stout (considering). Redroosters idea about using the axles from an early Bronco is something that I might try on my next YJ. As a matter of fact......other than knowing I had a Ford engine under the hood, having the whole setup out of an early Bronco swapped into a YJ would be pretty cool.

Back