Dana 60 front/Transmission questions

prariepunk

Hey y'all, I can get a D60 but with a 6 bolt pattern http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dill?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7958612005&category=33728 , and I already got set on the 14 bolt with the 8 bolt pattern. Can I change this or should I just look at another axle?
Second: Can my current T-150 transmission and Dana 20 transfer case hold up to 39" tires. I want to get a TH400 and Dana 300 but it might be too long. Any other transmission/transfer case combinations that will turn the 39"s? Hope this isn't a "Newbie" question :oops: .

not so much a newbie question, just a newbie mistake..........nice item you linked......... I just bought the D60 at the "buy it now" price...........................................kidding, dude, just kidding!! LBR

6 lug D60... What is it out of? Is it stock or modified? Toyota, Izuzuzu (sp) Chevy, Dodge, Mitsubishi, and Jeep are the only other brand vehicles I can think of with 6 lug... and none were front D60?

Any Who...
Easy swap! just get the knuckles, stub shafts, and break assembally off a 8 lug D 60 and it should bolt on, and while there, new ball joints could not hurt!

Ford 8.8

the dana 20 can be built to be a very strong case with a few upgrades like a better mainshaft and if you wanted to do so lower gears. the t150 id be wary about, its a mild transmission and would hold for a while but it might be better to look into something else. if you want a manual thats real sturdy try a sm420, np435, or a t-18. as far as automatics, th350, th400, torqeflite 999's (i think theyre ok not positive), or a c6. do some research on that kind of stuff, places like pirate are overflowing with knowledge on those topics, just search really hard before you ask a question over there

Here's a game for ya...

I can't seem to go to that link, but it definatly sounds like a D44.

No D60's ever came stock with 6-lugs. They are 1ton axles and 1 ton trucks have at least 8 lugs.

RE: DISASTER NEED HELP

Upon further investigation (and a call to a good friend) the only D 60 that culd possible have a 6 lug pattern would be something of a cab over delivery cube van made by mitsubishi in the late 80's early 90's that was 4wd... very rare though...

jps4jeep said:
...a cab over delivery cube van made by mitsubishi in the late 80's early 90's that was 4wd...

Oh ya, can't believe I forgot about that one :roll: . hehehe

It's GOT to be a little unlikely that's what it is!!!

Go to E-bay and type in that 795..... number from the adress linked above. That's the item number. It will pop right up. The seller has modified the description to include "Dana 44".
I don't know of any 6 lug front 60's. You kind of want to steer away from odd stuff anyway. I believe that's why you don't see any more people running Unimog axles (plus they are about $5000).

RR, what is wierd about the Unimog portals?

expensive yes! but I was not aware of too many hybrids, other then replacing the center section with that os a ford 9"

RE: Re: Steering Rattle

Go for the TH350. It is plenty strong enough and shorter and cheaper.

RE: Re: RE: Paragon area lodging

Prariepunk, The reason CJ5s didn't come factory with automatic transmissions was because they just aren't long enough. You're gonna need to lengthen the wheelbase, by way of the rear tires, in order to run one with that much lift. You would have a very short rear driveshaft running at a very steep angle.

I try to NOT recommend a heavy duty manual whenever possible, but a CJ version T18 would be great for your planned setup. When coupled with it's bellhousing, it is still 3" shorter than even the TH350. It's stronger and would BOLT right to your 360 and D20 with FACTORY parts. There were two versions: the T18A that had the granny(6.32:1) first gear, and the T18B that had something like a 4.02:1 first. I'd prefer the close ratio(4.xx:1) for a mud runner. The T-150 won't hold up at all. I've run them with big power and big tires(39s....on a CJ5 actually :lol: ) and they just can't handle it. I have one sitting in the CJ7 right now behind a built 304 and pushing 36s, but it's coming out as soon as I make up my mind whether to run the T-176, TF727, or TF999. I'd like to run the T176 so I can have the D300 that I have with it, but the TF727 and D20 combo I cobbled together is easier and would handle the power better.

Would a NP465 4-speed work? can i mate it to my 360? I hear that they are really a 3-speed with a granny gear, sumthin' like 6:1 or sumthin'. How much would YOU pay for a WORKING Dana 300?

RE: Re: RE: Help i might be losing my jeep..

Are you talking about the NP435 like Ford used or the SM465 that GM used? Mating a Ford box to your engine is easy. The T-150 has the Ford "butterfly" bolt pattern. A Ford NP435 will bolt to your bellhousing. The SM465 is supposed to be stronger than the NP435, but it doesn't matter. Either one is a very heavy duty box that will laugh at a 360 and 39s.

As far as the D300 goes, I've gotten lucky every time I was looking for one. I bought a D300 AND a T-176 for $100 last year, I've had one given to me, and I think I paid $200 for one years ago. All the other ones I've had came with the Jeeps they were in.....so, I guess I don't really know what a realistic price would be. They are getting sort of hard to find around here, but they are still priced fairly reasonably.

Try to find a 1980 Scout II. They came with a D300, but it had the Dana20/Spicer18 "texas" style bolt pattern instead of the circular pattern that the Jeep version used. That mounted behind a CJ T18a would provide all the crawling ability you could need. They are almost impossible to find though.

yeah the GM SM465, would a T-176 run 39"s or would I be better off going with a SM465? My jeep buddy has got an old horse stable converted into a jeep barn with ALL kinds of parts. . . for his jeep (whole different drivetrain set-up) but he has about 5 different Dana 300's he'd be wiling to sell to me but he doesn't know what they're going for, $100 is what I'll offer. . . I think? Well my dream of a TH400 is gone, it would take some stretching of the rear wheels to get that to work huh? How much stretching. . . just for Sh!ts and giggles?

Frankenstien CJ-7

At least the difference of the lengths of your transmission now and whichever one you get.

Back