Do I REALLY need to regear?

anthonyp

RE: TJ stock bumper winch compatibility

Okay...when I bought the Jeep I didn't pay too much mind to the rear axle ratio. I figured...it's a Jeep!! I went with the X because I knew I didn't want the 4 cylinder. It's a 2004 TJ X with a 3.07 rear axle ratio and 5 speed.

I live in Florida so my off roading is usually sand dunes or mud pits. No rock crawling. A few limestone hills and pits...but that's it. I've never had any second thought about having enough power/torque...especially in 4lo.

Yet there's this persistent ringing in my ears that says..."these people are regearing for a reason." I'll likely never go taller than a 30" tire...maybe 31". I just don't feel in Florida that I need additional ground clearance for the type of wheeling I do. (I know...I'll change my mind after my first serious stuck.)

So here's the question...am I asking for it off road with the 3.07 "highway Jeep" axle ratio? Anything I shouldn't attempt off road? Should I be the last to volunteer to pull the stuck guy out if I want to keep my transmission components intact? (I don't want to be THAT guy!)

If you're happy with it then stay with the ratio you have.

Going to a 30" or 31" tire isn't enough of a change in height to warrant the cost and labor of changing axle gears. Keep er the same.

My G/F's '00 TJ has 31's, l6, 5 speed and 3.07:1 ratio's and I am annoyed with it.

I will end up replacing the 3.07's with 3.54's one day to bring the RPM's back up when cruising.

If you are going to regear from 3.07, just get some axles from an automatic. they are 3.73 and you'll be much happier with the labor and performance

My automatic 99 has 3.07s

I'd prefer more gear with the automatic, even with 31s. If it had overdrive I would go ahead and stuff some 4.11s in there, even with the 30s that are on there now.

What part of Florida? I run 3.07 and 33's right now. Im regearing to either 3.73 or 4.11. If you arent going to go bigger than 31's I would have to say the 3.07 is fine. Especially in Florida.

RE: Re: RE: How

I really think you should hold that decision until after the tires are on the Jeep and you see for yourself. One thing to keep in mind on steep hills is that you can always just use 4wd low.

Most people regear to gain back power on the highway, not off it... off-road 4-lo has so much torque that regearing isn't an issue unless you go really big. I run 30's on the 3.07 rear and have no issues offroad.. at highway speed i lost some oomph though. I'm thinking of regearing before I go 31's only because i know the overdrive is gonna be a waste once I do.

RE: YJ suspension bolts

I have 33" with 3.07 and I still have no problems. 4th gear goes a little further, and I still have 5th gear, I just have to drop a little to go up hills. No big deal. I'd like some 3.73, but if I don't find a good deal, I won't sweat it

Back