electrical/lighting question

Rex

I bought a '74 CJ5 this summer and it came with a set of driving lights on it. They didn't work, of course, but I found out that the lights themselves are okay. What doesn't work is the relay. This thing is an oldie. It's a 12V 15 amp relay with three prongs. I tried both O'Reilly's and Pep Boys and neither one had anything for me. Pep Boys said they could order one but they didn't know if it would work and it would be 69 bucks, which I though was nuts.

So I'm trying to find out what would work and where to get a new relay for my lights. Bosch showed some and they were in the ten to fifteen dollar range, which seems about right for a relay for auxiliary lights, but I have no idea what will work. Does anyone have any idea what I would need for my application and where I can order it? I didn't think something as simple as getting a new relay would be a hassle but I should have known better.

In my mind, a simple low-amp Bosch relay really should do the trick. Anyone else think differently?

any relay 10-15 amps should work. on a 3 leg relay one is coil power (connected to head lights to energize the coil)-one is line (connected to the battery)-one is load (connected to the lights) and the metal case is ground.
any new relay will have a wiring diagram so instead of asking for a 3 leg relay just ask for a aux mount 10-15amp relay then rewire to the new relay. (unless this is a show jeep that has to be correct for the period). the new relay might have 4 legs as the case is plastic on most modern relays so you will have to add a ground from the terminal to the chassie but with the diagram it should be a easy install.

Back