engine and axel

jeeptjon37's

So i've seen people with 2.5 L on 37's. I will get 37's and was wondering if the 2.5L was a lot different than a 4.0. I have the 4.0

Ok here's the axel part. On my last post bounty hunter gave me a tip to not use a 8.8 for my rear. Now bounty hunter is on here a lot so I know he is a good source. So 60 rear 44 front? Or a different combo?

Thanks,
Tom

60/44 is a good combo if you don't mind the extra width. You can run rims with a lot of backspacing to help out some with the extra width.

The d44 is marginal with 37" tires so I'd recommend hardened axleshafts for more piece of mind. Look for a late '70s Ford d44 from a 3/4t truck, it'll have heavier axletubes and a high pinion.

So i've seen people with 2.5 L on 37's. I will get 37's and was wondering if the 2.5L was a lot different than a 4.0. I have the 4.0

Ok here's the axel part. On my last post bounty hunter gave me a tip to not use a 8.8 for my rear. Now bounty hunter is on here a lot so I know he is a good source. So 60 rear 44 front? Or a different combo?

Thanks,
Tom

the 2.5 is realy the same block as a 4.0, just 2 cylinders shorter. with what the 2.5 lacks in engine , can be made up for in gears. the 8.8's are ok with up grades it could do ok with 37's. i'm running 37" irocs on my front dana 30, it's open but doing well:D. you will lose a lot of ground clearance with a 60 over a 8.8 and the 60 will cost ya a lot lot more to get built.. if ya have the cash go for the big rears if not, just ride some 35's for now..

You could try a 9" I know a guy thats been running one with 40's for years now with no problems and he puts that thing through hell and back

Bounty__Hunter said:
60/44 is a good combo if you don't mind the extra width. You can run rims with a lot of backspacing to help out some with the extra width.

Ooh that's not good. PA states that I need full tire coverage with out going over a 3 inch flare so im not sure about width. Full width axels might render my jeep unstreetable

find a D60 from a early-mid 70 J series trucks, there were two available, a full floating 30 spline version and a 35 spline semi floating, the later being very desirable. the front 44 from a waggy or j truck; all these axles listed will be the same wideth (+/- 2") as your stock axles. a 37" tire is really the upper limit of a D44. I have run 37's on my D44's, but I have chromo shafts and lot sof bling inot the axle.

as for the 2.5, this TJ is one that we just finished
IMG_4016-1.jpg

Jeep has 3.25" of total lift over a stock TJ, tires are 42" comp stickie Iroks, axles are CUCV axles with stock gearing of 4.56:1, has a 5.0 atlas and a bone stock 2.5L. on the shake down trip and two runs it has been on, jeep does very well in the rocks and on technical obsticals. we've driven this as high as 50 mph on "go -fast" trail and it is very stable and has the power, but if it was to be daily driven, it would not be Ideal due to the lack of either horse power, or gearing...
That said, this rig was built with Ultra 4 in mind (probably will never enter a competition) so a motor swap is coming soon either 5.3 or LQ9.

Back