engine code 24??

Nooch13

I am a relatively new jeep owner. I have a 98 Wrangler TJ with a 4 cylinder engine. I sporadically get engine code 24 with a check engine light, which translates to "24 Throttle position sensor over 4.96V " Does anyone have any ideas what may be causing this or how I would fix it?

ALso, I have a set of brand new 31" x 10.5" tires in my garage. What lift if any would I need to mount them and what size rims would I need? Would the stock rims work??

Thanks for any help you could give me![addsig]

2.5" lift will do the trick! Stock Rims are ok! Code no can help you sir. Welcome to the board and good luck on the sensor question. Some one more knowledgeable will be along soon to answer that one. tug[addsig]

Does your Throttle position sensor have a flat 3-pin plug or a square 4-pin plug or neither? It is possible the sensor is out of adjustment if it is the adjustable type (would have oval screw holes that allow it to pivot for adjustment.) I'm not sure what kind is used on the 4-cyl engines.

-Nick[addsig]

Remove the throttle body and clean it and the sensor housings with carb cleaner and a tooth brush. If that doesn't do it, replace the TPS.

The 31" tires will fit a stock TJ on stock rims. 2" lift helps and looks better, can easily be done with coil spacers and new shocks.[addsig]

does your truck have trouble idling? or do you feel a loss of power? check the dist. cap, if theres moisture in there, theres a good chance you fried your Throttle Position Sensor, in which case you'd have to change it.[addsig]

How does moisture in the distributor relate to a sensor mounted on the throttle body?[addsig]

not exactly sure, but a bunch of guys from quadratec and a mechanic told me thats what happened to mine. i didnt really stick around for an explenation when the mechanic told me, i was still in shock from the bill.[addsig]

Sounds like the mechanics explanation was as credible as the bill :lol:

yea, tell me about it. i had narrowed it down to the TPS being the problem but didnt realize it was a relatively easy fix until after bringing it to the mechanic. lets just say iv been walking kinda funny since the mechanic gave me the bill.[addsig]

Ive also been getting the 24 code on my 98 TJ 4 cycl. However the dealership, and a mechanice I trust tell me that nothings wrong with it. My jeep seems to have a mind of its own. It will run alright sometimes, than idle weird other times. It also seems to not run very well the first time out in the morning. Im thinking about just changing out the plugs, and giving it a weekend warrior tune up. If I continue to see problems ill insist I get the TPS replaced even thought the mechanics say not too.[addsig]

I am in Williamstown. I have been looking for some decent trails to hit. I travel every day up past Atco raceway to Fort Dix (near trenton) so I see alot of the Pineands but I dont know the area well.

As far as the engine code, I cant figure it out. It comes and goes, but to be honest, I notice no difference in the way it runs when I get the code...I'll check and clean all the connections, then F it. If it aint broke, dont fix it![addsig]

Check the Crank Position Sensor (CPS) and make sure it's tight. A friend's TJ was throwing the TPS code and turned out one bolt had fallen out of the CPS, and the other was loose. Weird.

Clean up everything in the TB and see if that doesn't help. If it's throwing a code, there IS something wrong.[addsig]

Back