Engine swap

dschoenheider

After agonizing fro about 4 years into my rebuild of my '82 Scrambler, I decided to do an engine swap. When I first decided to rebuild my jeep I resisted advice to do a V8 swap. I priced everything to make my 4.2 a better engine. I wanted fuel injection and a little more hp. By time I added up all I needed the V8 just seemed more appealing so I gave in and found an '04 5.3 liter Chevy engine. Now I am getting a little apprehensive as to if I did the right thing after reading the tech issues on the Advance Adaptors site. Can anyone tell me where to start as far as the engine position in the chassis? I am waiting for my rebuilt T176 4 speed and my Dana 300 to be finished. I have purchased the weld in motor mounts from Advance Adaptors. I am not going to buy new drive shafts unless I absolutely have to so I would like to start there if clearance issues are ok. Can someone get me started? I also have what I believe is a good 4.2 block that I hate scrapping if anyone is interested in.

Welcome to Jeepz.com. Please post pictures of your project! (sorry I don't have answers to your questions).

p0p

Maybe I can help. You made the right choice. Chevrolet engine and a V8 is good. The motor goes in the front and the drive lines go underneath at the front and rear.

Stay away from tube headers. High flow cast manifolds if available are best.

When the parts arrive, get off your butt and get going! Did that help?

I know what you mean about adapters. I dislike them so much that when I installed a Ford 289 in my 79 CJ5, I swapped the AMC T18 case for a late model Ford case. Bolted directly to the Ford bell housing. Would like to have my old CJ5 back but, current owner painted it metallic purple. Installed high back buckets seats, aluminium wheels with white wall snow tires. A white top. Has a fox tail on the CB antenna. Stock bumpers. It look like a pimp mo Jeep.
This winter will be installing a NP435 in my Jeep. Will be going the adapter route, dread.

Back