engine + transmission =?

89blackYJ

hey everybody,
ive got a question for you all. my uncle is giving me an amc 340 out of a '77 cj-7. the setup is complete( wiring, radiator, etc.) but it doesnt have a transmission. so... i was wondering if a T4 transmission would bolt up to it w/o an adapter? i hope this question doesnt sound stupid as i dont know all that much about cj components. thanks guys(and girls)! happy jeepin

never heard of an AMC 340 so i cant really help you out. the t-18 transmission(if you can find one) is a good strong 4 speed for the amc 360.

someone else may be able to help you out more.

No 340 dude. Its a 304, because they never put 360's in a CJ to my knowledge.
You could put a T-4 in there without an adapter. Listen for the clock ticking sound as it will be a bomb waiting to explode. You wil need a T150 3 speed, T18 four speed (and best choice) or a T-176. The T18 would be the best choice for the transmission but a T-176 could likely be found with a Dana 300 hanging off the back of it.

Yeah, more than likely a 304. That's the only V8 that came in the CJs. If you are certain that you heard 340, then there is a possibilty someone may have swapped in an AMC 343 from a 67-69 car. It's an easy swap and not unheard of. In 1970(?) AMC raised the deck height so they could increase the stroke. The increased stroke caused the displacement of the engines to grow. 290 became 304, 343-360, 390-401. Same thing that happened with the sixes when they went from the 232 to the 258. The displacement is cast into the side of all of the AMC V8s, it will be an easy ID once you see the engine.

Where H2's go to die...

yea, my bad, that was a typo... it is a 304v8, but im still not sure what transmission bolts up to that. could i get a chevy trans. say like a th350 and buy and adapter?

Any transmission can be adapted for enough money. There really isn't a need to use an adapted transmission unless you want to stay with a non-computer controlled model and you want overdrive. Your T4 will bolt to it...but you'll be unbolting it quickly if you abuse it. A factory trim 304 only makes 10 more pounds of torque than a 258 I6, and it does it at a higher rpm. If your T4 has lived behind the 258, then it has a chance to survive behind the 304. Just don't speed shift it or dump the clutch at high RPMs.

Any transmission bolted to any post-67 AMC V8 or I6 will bolt to the 304. There was a couple of different bellhousings, so if in doubt, make sure you get that with any manual you buy. I would run the T-4, being as careful as possible until you located a better box....like a T-176, T-18 or the TF999 auto from an 80+ CJ. The T-176 and TF999 can be used with your Tcase without any aftermarket adapters and they are both good medium duty transmissions that will hold up fine with proper maintenance and care.

Back