engine turn off

georgepinkham

i have a 1999 cherokee sport with a 4.0l when the gas guage gets down to 1/4 tank and i turn left the engine quits, it restarts immediatly and is ok when you turn right or are going straight, it goes great up hill. when the tank is more than 1/4 full no problem, i've been told that it is the fuel pump or the baffeling in the tank, either is expensive, any suggestions? thank you, George[addsig]

just dont let it get below 1/4 tank... ;-) ;-) [addsig]

sounds like you either have a really clogged fuel filter, or your gas tank is crudded up and/or your fuel pump is going...[addsig]

Call the dealer and ask them if there have been any service bulletins on the problem your having.[addsig]

I have an 87 YJ. I just instaled a brand new 15 gallon tank. I started with a tank full tank. The newly working gauge did show a full tnak of gas. At empty I did run out! The engin sputtered and died. Test good so far I can trust the gauge!

Then I filled up again. It only took 11.16 gallons to fill up from the run out point to full up into the filler hose. this is in a 15 gallon tank. So I ran out with most of 4 gallons in the tank and the gauge ran true to the fact I ran out on empty.

Prior to running out of gas I to had a couple of episodes of my motor stalling out in a hard rihgt hand turn only to restart with in a couple of seconds just as you described. I will let you know what I find and please do the same if you get the answer to this before I do.

sounds like the same problem! Tug[addsig]

my 92 xj guage floats like a s.o.b. It's the most annoying thing in the world. The fuel light comes on at about 1/2 sometimes and stays on for a couple of miles. Its gotten the point where my trip odometer is my gas guage. I really never know how much gas is in my tank.

I've heard old timers say that older cherokees are known to have floating gas guages.

my two cents

pinaplebob[addsig]

yeah, all the jeeps' i've ever been in have had floating guages too...[addsig]

Back