Exhaust fumes killing me!

rsmoon

I have an 84 CJ, 258 w/ Webber carb. Headers with single pipe and a turbo muffler. The pipe is comming out of the back. With the back rolled up and the windows down or doors off, the fumes come in from the back. This makes it worse, but even sitting still the exhaust is so strong that I can hardly stand it. My clotehs smell like it, my eyes burn, and I get headaches from it.

I have tried to tune the carb, even got some diamond E3 spark plugs to get a complete burn (or so they claim). It still smells like gasoline. I asked a muffler shop about adding a cat, and he said it woudln't work because I don't have air tubes anymore (took off all emmissions stuff a long time ago). He said it requires O2 for the catalyst to work.

I can get the pipe re-routed to the side instead of the back, but this isn't going to help much. Today I had the windows up and was fine. When I pulled into the driveway, I had to get out and move the garden hose (in front of the Jeep). I left it running. Just getting out and moving the hose made me smell like exhaust fumes when I went in the house.

Any ideas?

Last edited:

Welcome to Jeepz.com. Try adjusting the air/fuel mixture screw to lean it out a bit. A vacuum gauge is the best tool to have when you do this, but you can still do it without. As for the exaust fumes, so far, the optimal placement of the pipe that i've found is before the axle with a down tube. I'm running on dual exaust and i decided to move it there from having it on the sides before. The drive thru tellers on the commercial windows hated it because the fumes shot straight in their roll out drawer. So far it's given me the minimum exaust smell from that location. Another one i've done is a 42 GPW. I routed the exaust pipe towards the back about an inch sticking out farther than the rear tub, that works well too.

Even if you install a catalytic converter, the fuel in the rich condition you're running will quickly ruin it, wasting your money and time. I'd get the carb adjusted properly or switch to a motorcraft carb.

The only time it's a problem for me is with the back window open and the side windows closed. Leaving the side windows open generally ventilates the cab okay.

Back