Exhaust tech.

jps4jeep

Super Moderator
I don't often look for help, but here it is.

Here is what my down pipe looked like after a trail ride couple weeks ago. The S bends turned into Z bends, which is why my jeep would not stay running.
908149-2.jpg

908150-2.jpg

As you can see, I didn't have time or desire to fix it properly for a fall comp event (which was the following weekend) so I just drilled a bunch of 5/16 holes just after the manfold flange, had that real nice big block sound ::)

and here is what I did to it at the fall comp
908151-2.jpg

908152-2.jpg

908154-2.jpg

908153-2.jpg

so I might need new exhaust :-\ my manifold cracked real bad about 3 years ago and I bought a header and down pipe from Banks then, but never installed them. I am now going to install the header and sell the down pipe, buy some universal exhaust tube from summit or jegs piece and together a custom exhaust in the end it will be fully Tig welded and removable in sections.

Now I have a bunch of questions.

1. I will eventually have a chevy 60 in the front, so I will be a pass side drop. I already have the 231/D300 Doubler all set so the exhaust needs to be on the drivers side. Has anyone done this and have they had issues with the fuel lines getting too hot. this is my main concern.? Will exhaust tape keep enough heat in, min. distance of exhaust to the fuel line will be about 8-10 inches.

2. since my Jeep will never be inspected, is it beneficial for me to remove the Cat? I only have one upstream O2 sensor, nothing after the cat. I put the cat in about 5 years ago, so it only has about 3000 miles on it at best. It is still in good shape, so I can reuse if need be. I guess my concern is with the MPI engine needing a small amount of back pressure?

3. one thing to keep in mind, I have a RCI 2161A tank going in this winter, so the tank under the jeep will no longer be there, I will be moving some fuel lines if needed, but would like to retain as much of the original hard lined as I can.

Thanks

Johnny

You really mangled that thing. That's one reason I've never gone with a stainless steel muffler setup.

BTW - why the fuel cell? Are you looking for more ground clearance?

XJ springs front and rear, 104" wheel base(moving the front frame hangers back 2" and frenched 2" up into the frame rail) . so I am gonna sink a fuel cell in the rear cargo area cause the rear diff would hit it with the stretch.

That exhaust is at least 8 years old if not older. it was the first mod I did when I bought this jeep. Started to repair it the other day. I simply order the tube from Jegs and gonna tig weld it and grind smooth. running it down the drivers side. I will post when done. re-using the cat and running a Flowmaster delta 40 race two chamber, measures 3"x8"x8.5" nice and small.

Thanks Terry

Back