Fan Clutch installation

Rex

I have to replace the fan clutch on my '74 CJ-5 and I have no idea how to do it. From what I have been told it should be a very easy thing to do but I have not been able to find any instructions on exactly how to do it. I have the new part but I don't know what the procedure is to replace the old one. I'd appreciate it if someone could clue me in on how to replace the fan clutch. By the way, my CJ has the 304 V-8 engine with the two barrel. Thanks.

Its been awhile since Ive replaced one, but if I remember right, your fan bolts to your clutch part of the fan. There should be about 4, maybe 5 bolts at the center of your fan, just unbolt them and it all should slide off and just put the new one on the same way. there is nothing special you have to do except loosen your fan belt. To do that you loosen the bolt on the alternator bracket and push the alt with your hand so the belt loosens. It is a simple job, but I find it a pain because there isnt much room to turn a wrench down there. If you have a fan shroud you will probably have to remove that.

Back