First Jeep

bpenosa1

This is my first post on here. I found this forum while trying to learn a little about jeeps yesterday. So far i've gotten some really good information from reading the post here, thank you. I'm going to look at my first jeep tonight and was hoping you guys could give me some things to look out for. Its a 95 wrangler with a 2.5 and 5 spd. It has a hard top, full doors, no lift and generally looks stock. I'm sure its seen better days, the drivers fender looks a little beat up and the black paint is faded pretty bad. All the spare tire stuff is missing and it has no carpet. The guy says it runs great and is mechanically sound. I'm looking for something i can commute ten miles to work in and also take up camping. Probably put a small lift on it but nothing crazy. He's asking $2300 for it which is about half if not less than every other jeep around the same year with a hard top that i've seen. So what do you guys think? What should i look for? Thanks.

Check the frame for rust.As far as the price being half,are the other Jeeps you compared it to have the 2.5l?If they have the I6 they will be more.

So the first jeep i was looking at sold today before i got a chance to see it. I just found another though. Its a 91 with a 4.0, hard top, and a lift already. He says it pops out of first gear once in awhile and is asking $2500 for it. So again what is it i should look for when looking at this jeep? is there any common problems with 91 4.0 jeeps? What could be wrong with the transmission?

Oh and about the rust that was suggested for me to look for. Is there a common place that rust on these? Like a specific place i should look?

Thanks again guys.

Look for rust every where.Most common place I see is the end of the frame rails near the rear tires.Also if it has carpets lift them up and look under to check the floor.

Check the jeep for the most obvious things, which is rust. Look under the jeep, the body, frame, under carpet etc. Jeeps that are not taken care of are like rust buckets. If you are not mechanically sound then the best thing to do is to ask for a test drive and take the jeep to a local mechanics shop. Have them do a visual check on everything. Engine and the transmission are the two most important things. I have a 98 4.0 and it runs fine (even though its go 206,745 miles on it!). The thing about gears is that they are pretty tricky. I would take it to a mechanic and just get it looked at. Many mechanics will do it for free, but then again, many charge. Good luck with the jeep hunt, and remembe; patience is key to everything. If you wait long enough the perfect jeep will come alone, the one made for you. :D

All the best,
Chris

just look for every and anything that could be wrong with it and take that into acount. also make sure you take it for a test drive and try out ALL of the gears 2hi 4hi 4lo first second third fourth and fifth.

If you got any hills to climb in your area, the 2.5L will leave you wanting more. Thats why you see so many for sale. They are anemic with stock tires and the bigger you go the worse it gets.

If you end up having to get a four cylinder because the sixes are to spendy or non-existant, go with the later ones with the Multi-port Fuel Injection. They have the most HP.

Beware the early YJ sixes with the carbureted 4.2L(87-90) as they can be problematic and have a weak transmission.
Look for 4.0L

If you got any hills to climb in your area, the 2.5L will leave you wanting more. Thats why you see so many for sale. They are anemic with stock tires and the bigger you go the worse it gets.

If you end up having to get a four cylinder because the sixes are to spendy or non-existant, go with the later ones with the Multi-port Fuel Injection. They have the most HP.

Despite what you might think after reading the above post the 2.5L is not a bad engine. It's more reliable than the 4.0L (less moving parts) and albeit a little underpowered, it still has plenty of torque. It's also cheaper than a 4.0L. You can improve torque, power, and pulling up hills with a few cheap bolt-ons. I have 31's and a lightbar on my 2.5L YJ and it does fine pulling up hills on the interstate with $80 worth of bolt-on upgrades. I can hang 75mph on flats regularly, and 65-70mph on slight inclines, which is enough. I very rarely have to shift down to 4th to keep momentum.

But yeah, definitely find one with MPFI. '91 and up have MPFI IIRC. Everything before was TBI. And like DREDnot said, avoid the 4.2L YJ like the plague. The engine is bad enough but that Peugeot transmission isn't even worth it's weight in scrap metal.

Well i bought my first jeep last night. Its a 91 yj with a 4.0 and manual trans and 114,000 miles. Its red with light tan interior and a light tan soft top and half hard doors. its pretty bone stock with no lift and some aftermarket aluminum wheels with bfg allterrains. no rust that i can see and since there is no carpet the floor panels are easy to see. Paid $2000 for it. now i just need to find a back seat, full doors and a hard top. Anybody know a good place in california where i can find this stuff.

Silly question,what does the light bar do for pulling power?

hehe that crossed my mind as well............

No, see, the lightbar and lights would actually make me go slower because of wind resistance. I was saying that DESPITE having 31's and a lightbar I can still maintain speed on slight inclines with $80 worth of bolt-on engine upgrades. I can't believe you guys thought I was trying to say that the lightbar added power. We're not talking about Hondas and their obnoxious wings and stickers that add 5hp here :lol:

Do you think the light bar affects the Jeeps aerodynamics ,that of brick.
If they keep slanting the windshield with newer models it may become aerodynamic some day.:lol:

Why's everyone always pickin' on us square lights?:scratch:
Anyway, its sounds like you got a decent deal.

Back