fitting 35's w/only 3in body lift

BOWZ

well hello guys, im new to the forum. i havn't done much to the jeep. i aquired it with my wife. it has had a hard life for sure. i am doing my research on converting it into a 4bt cummins w/ a manual. thank thanks to every one in advance.

FOR MY QUESTION NOW, i am in need of new tires and want to throw 35x12.5's under it with the stock rims. i am wondering if i can do a 3in body lift with a little plastic trimming and thats all. mabe spacers also? not sure what size. this is a 99% on road vehicle, that doesn't go above 45mph.

i found that a 3in suspention lift would fit 35's in a jeep parts magazine, but nothing about a body, but i dont' see why not. but i'm probably way off, i havn't been able to search as much as i would like, i just need these tires soon cause of my wife and snow. haha. slicks arn't treatin her well. thanks in advance

bowz

First off, welcome to the Z.

Any body lift over 1" is a waste IMO, it places unneeded stress on the body bolts and is unsightly. Consider a combination of suspension lift and up to a 1" body lift.

35" tires on a 2.5L jeep is going to be a dog unless you regear the axles. You'll be lucky to hold 45mph with the stock axle gears.

Here's some links that may interest you.
Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums - Powered by vBulletin
WELCOME TO JEEP2DIESEL.ORG
- Screamin Seeman Off Road / 507.330.3567 -
diesel 4bt conversion tech - Pirate4x4.Com Bulletin Board

A member of my club runs 2" spring lift and a 1" Body Lift and clears 35's on stock rubicon wheels. he does have spacers, the tires would hit the LCA and rub pretty bad. he does not have any trimming,instead he has limited up travel. you can fit a 35" tire on a stock TJ, you need to stretch the rear a couple inches and take the front fenders off and they will fit. problem lies in that the tire will rub baddly on the front of the wheel well opening, and there is not much material there to trim before your inside the body tub.

Good luck and keep us posted. IMHO the 4bt is a nice motor.. I am in the process of collecting parts for a diesel swap as well but chose a Mercedes 4 cyl Turbo Diesel due to less weight and the ability to have the same HP and Torque with some simple tuning.

FOR MY QUESTION NOW, i am in need of new tires and want to throw 35x12.5's under it with the stock rims. i am wondering if i can do a 3in body lift with a little plastic trimming and thats all. mabe spacers also? not sure what size. this is a 99% on road vehicle, that doesn't go above 45mph.
As mentioned before- you do NOT wanna run 35's on stock rims. Those tires need more room behind them to steer. You need different rims or spacers.

99% on road, yet it doesn't go over 45mph?

i found that a 3in suspention lift would fit 35's in a jeep parts magazine, but nothing about a body, but i dont' see why not. but i'm probably way off, i havn't been able to search as much as i would like, i just need these tires soon cause of my wife and snow. haha. slicks arn't treatin her well. thanks in advance

bowz
A 3" suspension lift by itself isn't enough to fit 35's adequately either, without some serious trimming/ fab work.
A 3" lift with a 1" BL will work if set-up properly.

We do packages like that all the time.

I too would stay away from a 3" BL.

It sounds like you're wanting a quick or inexpensive way to fit 35's.
The 2 don't mix...

Dirk

Since this post is already here, you think i could fit 35's on a rubicon with a 2 inch body lift(its already on there)

Since this post is already here, you think i could fit 35's on a rubicon with a 2 inch body lift(its already on there)

definatly... For what ever reason, people seam to think you need to have a huge amount of lift on your jeep to fit a tire.. I have a 4" lift (settled to 3.5 probably) on my YJ and I just put on a set of 37's and they fit just fine. ya, it's a little cut here or there, but look in my sig, it's not horrible looking. I will find the pic of my friends TJ, zero lift and 35's.. I have posted it here a couple hundred times.

Attachments

• IMG_0597.jpg
    IMG_0597.jpg
    187.5 KB · Views: 21,220
Last edited by a moderator:

Attachments

• l_3859620bfe014cd2a573aedecbaf2cd2.jpg
    l_3859620bfe014cd2a573aedecbaf2cd2.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 19,726
Last edited by a moderator:
thanks guys for the replys, i appreciate it verry much.

bounty hunter, thanks, ya i figured that the 35's would make it a dog, and with the 30's and its a dog. and yes i totaly agree with you on the added stress of the 3in body lift. i live on an island up in alaska, about 30 miles of road to date. i have a quad right now for any offroading i can find. learned my lesson with daily drivers and off roading with my old Z71, they dont mix haha. the reason i am going with a cheep fix is that in less than 2 years and about 1000 miles i will be redoing the whole jeep. for now it will contiune to be my wifes dd untill i get my duelly paid off, then she gets a new vehicle and i get a toy jeep. then i will remove the body lift, and susp pucks, put in some real drive train and a functional lift. and the web pages, been to all except the screamen seeman. so i'll be visiting it soon! appreciate it verry much.

dirk, i got 1.25in spacers, 3in body, and the 2in pucks. and as far as 45mph and strickly on road, ive got about 30 miles of road on the island i live on in alaska. there is about a mile, mabe 2 that the speedlimit hits 55, lived here 6 months and have only gone down it 3 times. its gunna be scary once i have to drive in the real world again haha. as far as quick and inexpensive, you hit it on the nose, like i said earlier in this post, i'm gunna be redoing it all in 2 years, and don't want to have to buy new tires with the ones on it only haveing around a 1000 miles. once again thanks!!

now in hindsight i havn't thought about the bump steer, 30 miles of road and i don't think they know what repaving is... i've got duel stabilzers on my dodge 1 ton and they work awsome with the 37's. i just did a 6in lift w/37's on a 3/4 ton dodge and wanted to see how it would handle with the stock steering stabilizer. bad. and with the duel stabilizer it was much better. i am thinking i'm giong to have to do the same with the jeep. what is your guys oppionions?

THANKS!!
BOWZ

The only problem will be the steering,unless you use spacers.

I currently have 31x10.5 on a 97 tj completely stock and they rub on the frame at wheel lock.

It may not be the frame may be the a arm,but they do rub.

well i installed 2in pucks and a 3in body lift. it looks good tires rub real bad on the sway bar. i apreciate all the help, next is the 4bt!!! and to get rid of the lifts i just did. a 1yr and half isn't gunna come soon enough!!

thats because the majority of the lift is seperating the body from frame and not the axle from frame. With more seperation at the axle and frame, the tire would not contact the sway bar so much. also, what is the back spacing of the wheels your using? spacers might be in order or new wheels.

also, put on some longer sway bar links, that will return the sway bar to proper geometry and might also move the sway bar out of harms way a bit.

My question is why would you need a body lift and 35's on a jeep that stays on road. Second of all I Think that if you really need to lift your jeep you should do it with a suspension and not a body lift.

Ok I' a newbie and looking for advice on a 2 in lift for my 1999 Wrangler. I think the springs and shock kit is the way to go? That leads to what is the best for the price. Seems there are more then one out there with prices all over the board. Any information from experience would be great

iceman, quit trying to get your post count up and read the post prior to sounding like an idiot, i have already stated why i am running 35's.

mikep, the budget boost is not a typical suspention lift. it is one of the cheepest ways to lift your jeep with out doing a body lift. all it consist of is 4 new shocks 4 2in spacers that sit atop the springs and bump stops, a verry easy install able to do with comon tools and jack. a spring compressor is also very handy. i am verry happy with the performance this instal. and would recomend it to the weekend warrior who needs a few more inches. hope this helps sorry for the long wait

bowz

Thanks I'm going with the new springs and shocks got a good deal on 2.5 " pro-comp. Then to 32 " tires from 30 " and I have what I need for the weekend. Would like some good black rims andbody know the way to go on these? How Wide and offset?

Back