flatfender time

currupt4130

VT Hokie
ive got my tj flares and now i need to put em on and trim em up. any words on how to attatch them? cuz i kno theyre bigger than the yj fenders. im thinkin just drill and bolt, i dont wanna use self taps cuz they tend to work lose easilyim thinking about paintin them to match the jeep, or maybe white. my jeep is bluuuuuuue

I just drilled holes in my jeep to match the TJ flare holes and used the stock yj mounting stuff.

I'm confused... are you going TJ flares or flatfender? Two different mods.

Corey

i would just take a jig saw and cut the side of the fender flare off and then use the same thing to cut the fender it self off

anyone know any 4wl trails in TX?

Pardon my ignorance, but doesn't the TJ flare defeat the purpose of doing a flat fender? More clearance, then the flare will impead that clearance, unless of course if you trim it flat. But if you do that, what's the sense in putting the flare on there anyway.

Really it's only cause I can't picture it. I'm sure you've already considered that, and have figured that out. Show us pics of the results!

well the tj flare is bigger, but the flat fender opens it up more, besides the fact that flatfenders look totally rad, i dont kno if you've seen how its done, but you just get the fenders bolted up and and cut them out so theyre flat all the way around. at least thats the way ive seen it done before

Pics??? Cause I'm going flatty myself, but do like the look of a flare. If there is a way to combine them that's both functional and good looking then....

Hey Mingez, I believe redrooster has flatfenders and runs TJ flares (of course, his is a cj though).... I could be wrong, but I think I've seen a pic on here of it.

mingez... pics of mine if you want e... i actuallty use yj extended flares and trimmed them... for mounting purposes...

The TJ flares will enable more wheel trave for the rear tire, less body contact! The process of flat-fendering(FF) (if such a word exhist) offers couple of benefits.
1. If you want to extend the wheel base, this is neccesary!
2. If you like to tackle obsticals straight on (and this would only work with little to no front bumper), you have more exposed contact area for you tire to climb said obsticle.
3. If you should be in a extremely off-chaimber situation, the sheet metal would not be in the way! or if you are real close to a tree, no hitting!
4. looks F-in cool!

Now the down side of these mods.
1. when you use a TJ flare on a YJ and FF it, you loose the side markers, no biggy but they are gone.
2. In order to make it 100% functional, you will need to cut you bumper down to about 46" or less, not exactly legal in all states!
3. unless you have a front locker or a tire large enough to get over something that would have had the fender in the way before, then it is purely cosmetic!

Phatyaspen,

I'm really curious as to what this looks like. If'n you don't mind, can you post pics or E-mail them to me?

Thanks,

X

Back