ford v8 swap in a cj

it is a 302 carb motor i know it bolts to my trans which is a 4 spd with a granny gear will i need to do anything with my poilt bearing or can i use the stock stlye cj

A Ford engine will bolt to your transmission using a Ford bellhousing from a Ford vehicle that used that transmission with a Ford V8 from the same engine family that your 302 belongs to. The Windsor bolt pattern. By "engine family", I'm talking about one of Fords more stupid ideas. They don't just have big or small blocks, they had different versions of each. 351W would be a Windsor.....there are Clevelands, Limas, FEs,....Ford really sucks in this regard.

You'll need new engine mounts of course, and possibly the correct oilpan for clearance. I can't remember if the radiator hose connections are on the same side or not, but that's another possible swap waiting to happen. Header selection might be interesting if you aren't planning on running factory manifolds and you don't want to buy conversion headers. Wiring. Plumbing. Clearance issues shouldn't be problem with the compact little Ford, but I've never done this swap and I never paid close attention to the ones I've seen.

today i took a stock jeep bellhouse and bolted it to the ford block all the bolt holes lined up some i dont need to get a differnt bellhouse

That's cool. I didn't know the Jeep T18 bellhousing bolted to any of the Fords. I thought you had to use a ford bellhousing. Learn something new everyday I guess!

I wouldn't mind Ford power in a CJ. I helped(very little) put one in a CJ one time, but it was a whole drivetrain conversion. I'm not a Ford fan, but the short stroke Fords seem like they would be good swaps into a SWB Jeep with deep gearing.

Check out Novak or the Advance Adapter websites. They will have an online guide that tells you everything you need to know.

Back