fullsize axles

i am not quite sure what your poll is asking but if i had to go with an engine swap i would definitly choose a sbc 350. as for the full width axle question i can give you an answer for sure in a bout a month or two as i am currently putting a set of full sized axles under my rig. i do know that in order for them to be street legal the tires must be covered up by extended flares...other than that i dont know what else it would take.

Well from what I can tell, you already have a 4 cyl in the jeep now... I would def. go with the V8 swap as long as you have a place to do it and all the goodies to go with it (transmission, t-case adaptor) As for the full sized axles, what does the WMS to WMS measure? if the are super wide you may end up being illegal on the road, but then you just have to build some BIG flares... i say go for the gusto.

Fullsize axles or heavy-duty full size axles? Look, I've had a 14bolt rear and 3/4T D44 front combo(couldn't find a D60). Excellent axles for hardcore fourwheeling.....crappy for everything else. Along with all the beef, you get alot of weight. That extra weight is a penalty when it comes to fuel economy, parts breakage elsewhere on the Jeep, and they also slow the Jeep down and take away it's "Jeep" feeling. A big old cast iron granny low four speed and some one ton axles will make it feel like you are driving a short wheelbase, convertible dump truck. If that's what you want, then more power to you......you'll have one hell of a trail rig. Just be aware of the downsides.

Street legality--- If it fits within the DOT maximum width guidelines, and you have fenders covering the tires I think it would be legal just about anywhere.

Laws differ between states, and I've yet been able to find a law in IL that prohibits tires sticking out past the fenders. Some states may have them.

Why are you wanting full-width axles? Here in the Midwest a lot of our jeepin involves trail riding, and manuevering between a lot of tight trees, rocks, and embankments. Tough to do with full-width. After all the narrow manueverability is a lot of what makes a jeep a jeep, IMO.

If you want strength, I suggest sticking with the D44's from a late '80s early '90s Waggoneer.

If you want strength, I suggest sticking with the D44's from a late '80s early '90s Waggoneer.
These Wagoneers do have 44's in the front, but have AMC 20 in the rear. A few people in my club have been putting 3/4 chevy outers on D44 from these wagoneers, front diff is on the correct side, and then cutting about 3-4 inches out of one side of a D60. This does slightly offset the D60, but if you look under a YJ the t-case rear output is slightly off center. This only requires one new axle shaft. Also 15" rims will fit over most chevy 8 lug front discs.

I am getting ready to put a set of full width axles from a mid 70's dodge military truck along with the motor transmission and t-case under a cj-6 with a spring over and a set of 38's

fourtrail said:
These Wagoneers do have 44's in the front, but have AMC 20 in the rear.
Three different rear axles came in the jeeps I mentioned, the D44 with centered diff, the offset diff D44 (Quadratrac), and the HD AMC20. The front AND rear D44 Waggys are plentiful.

The HD AMC20 is a good rear axle for the same upgrade, it has one piece axleshafts and heavier axle tubes than it's CJ brethren.

i know that here in NY, there is no law about extending the tires from the body... as for limiting ability... if you are just a mud dog... then fullsized axles are great... and will not limit anything... but as for trail riding, and obstacle maneuverism.... you want to keep those tires under tou

Back