Future Build Question.

CherokeeGuy42

RE: 88 YJ Ignition Upgrades

Keep in mind this is in the future when I have the money. But I'm just looking into things and figuring out what I will need.

Ok I've been wanting to hotrod a cherokee out. My goal is to get 350-400 HP out of a 4.0 HO Engine. I'm wanting to take a 5spd 2 or 4 door cherokee(not sure yet) and make these mods:
- Bored out Stroker kit
- SuperCharger (Kenny Bell maybe, still looking around)
- New 62mm throttle body
- Intake (K&N most likely)
- Exhaust (Flowmaster or Borla)
- Bigger radiator
- D44 Rear w/locker
- Thicker Driveshaft
- adjustable shocks

Ok now my questions:

a) I kinda want to still have my 4wd, but I don't know if it would handle the power. What kinda of Transmission and 4wd setup would I need, that won't explode into different pieces on me?

b) What am I missing on that list that I will have to do?

I know it's probably not the most practical thing to try to build, but I haven't heard of anyone doing it yet, so I thought it would be fun to do. Especially if I get it accomplished. I'll keep it at stock height for now and depending on how it rides will determine if I lift or have to lower a hair.

RE: Lift and tires!!!!!!!

It is doable...but might be a little spendy.

Why not put that effort and money into a wheel-able Jeep? You could still do all those things...and then simply lift it and put on some tires. Only different thing you'd need is a D60 or bigger in the rear depending on tire size.

as well as the speedfreaks forum

You mean as in Jeep speedfreaks? Cooooooool. I've got to check that out.

CherokeeGuy, That's right up my alley. I had to quit playing with the sixes because of the money it takes to make power, but I'll have a hot 6 going again soon. The XJ I just picked up is getting a V8, but I thought about a six.

Look into turbos too, if you're considering a blower. there is a turbo kit on the market now, but it doesn't look that impressive. Possibly something to build off of. The Kenne Bell would be sweet in race tune with 9psi huffing on a 4.7 liter though.....<droooool>

RE: Axle fluid leaking into rear brakes

9psi into a stroker is pretty rough. You might want to look into some billet internals for putting boost into something with such chamber pressure. I like the idea though

9psi into a stroker is pretty rough.

So.......what you're saying is that you don't think a 50 or 75 horse nitrous shot on top of that would be a good idea? You know, just to help the turbo spool a little faster :wink:

CherokeeGuy, if you decide to go with a supercharger, I would go with the Kenne Bell too.

The Avenger seems pretty neat though. I'd like to get a close look at one.

Junkpile said:
So.......what you're saying is that you don't think a 50 or 75 horse nitrous shot on top of that would be a good idea? You know, just to help the turbo spool a little faster :wink:

Actually a small nitrous shot will help cool things and can help cylinder pressure, depending on where the nitrous is introduced into the incoming air stream. I'd definitely suggest a good intercooler (or aftercooler as they call it for a supercharger) or using a methanol injection system

Re: RE: Axle fluid leaking into rear brakes

Yea I like the Kenny Bell, especially for the sound it makes. I don't know if it will produce the same sound I'm wanting, but have you heard a Kenny Bell on a 03 Cobra? Man it's great. I don't really want to run NOS unless I have to. Is someone saying it would be easier to get a v-8 and mod that up, instead of the 6? I could get a longblock couldn't I? I guess it would be cheaper since they have so many parts for v-8's and probably not as much for the 4.0.

RE: Front Axle

I believe it would be cheaper to go with a V8, but if you're getting a long block, then you'll be paying high dollar for something that can handle good boost

RE: YJ hardtop

Keep in mind too that if you swap to a V8, you'll most likely need a different transmission too...or an adapter if one is made. Even then, your stock transmission might not be happy with that much torque going through it.

Turbo Charger would be sweet though!! You could even put one together out of wrecking yard parts if you want to save on money...and have probably an even better system than what a new "kit" could give you (considering not many are made for Jeeps).

heres my suggestion to that list. high flow fuel pump. hight flow injectors.

Back