Gas Fumes CatConverter Connection?

AaronB

Hi
I recently noticed a rattle under my 94 Gr.Cherokee, it seemed to be coming from the CatConverter. Around the same time, I also began to notice gas and or exhaust fumes coming in when the front windows were down. Could a bad Cat cause some type of disruption in the flow to where it would back up into the engine? When air is brought in from the vents there is no problem, just with window down. Thanks for any ideas, I'd prefer not to pass out at the wheel!

If your cat is bad, you should be having some other issues, too (i.e. - drop in mileage, poor acceleration, missing, etc.). And there probably should be some "check engine" light of some sort involved. But the fumes are not a good sign......need to get that thing checked!! I believe there's an 8 year warranty on the cats.

my $.02

A bad converter won't throw a code and turn the check engine light on. It will rattle and create a bad exhaust odor.
With the jeep idling and rattling, throw a prybar against the exhaust near the converter with some pressure, it should stop the rattling, that will narrow it down to the catalytic converter.

Bounty__Hunter said:
A bad converter won't throw a code and turn the check engine light on. It will rattle and create a bad exhaust odor.
With the jeep idling and rattling, throw a prybar against the exhaust near the converter with some pressure, it should stop the rattling, that will narrow it down to the catalytic converter.

Thanx, Bounty, I knew someone would correct me..........wasn't sure about the code thing. AaronB, hope we've been of help.......hate to see a Jeeper with problems. :pray:

Back