gas tank

kcash

My cherokee had its gas tank replaced before I bought it. Strangely it'll only hold about 15 gallons, and the fuel gage only goes up to 3/4 on the dash. I have a feeling that this conversion http://www.4x4wire.com/jeep/tech/fuel/15to20gal/

might be applicable to my gas tank as well. Does anyone know if the Cherokee and the wrangler have the same gas tank? If so have you had similar problems?

Good question. One way to possibly find out if the filler neck and vent tube is keeping you from getting a full tank, would be after a fill up, bounce on the rear bumper, vigorously a few times. The sloshing will often allow some air to escape and the fuel level will go down, allowing you to add a couple more gallons, normally. If slosh and fill, slosh and fill gets you more than a gallon or two of extra fuel in there, the filler and vent could be sticking in the tank to far.
They had a lot of complaints about the 13.5 gallon tank (stock) in the late 80`s, the 20 gallon tank was an extra on all models including, the top of the line models. Heard they discontinued the 13.5 gallon tank, but don´t remeber just when.
Crawling under a few XJ´s with a tape measure, could also tell you if yours is actually smaller than, some others.

Good idea, I have the bill of sale from Chrysler on the tank and tank shield, I'll try to find out if I got an 80's tank or not using that part number. On a visual inspection my neighbors w/ Cherokee's tanks look bigger, but havent measured them, that's why I thought I might have gotten a wrangler tank esp. w/the fact that after fill up the fuel gage only reads to 3/4. Thanks Mud!

Having the smaller tank might not be a bad thing, the 20 gallon tank hangs pretty low. On all the XJ´s I´ve had, I´ve installed an under the bumper class 3 hitch, to help keep me from dragging the tank and/or having the tank smashed, in a rear ender.
I´m gonna fab my own tank skid pan, for my new to me 88, sometime soon. Using 0.08" (2MM) thick sheet steel. It came with a hidden hitch (inside the bumper).

Noise when turning...

Yeah that sounds like a plan, mine came w/ the tank shield but its plastic (strange?--is that common?). It does appear to be smaller than the standard from a visual inspection (she's a new to me 91, and she's my first, but she's a real pleasure to work on compared to all the other vehicles I've owned). I'm gonna try to find some 4 wheel trails for her once I get her spiffed up a bit but 1st I need a new leaf spring (passenger side), the one I got is completely vertical LOL

Hi,

The 13.5 US Gallon tank was standard up until I believe the '90 or '91 model year, when the 20 US Gallon tank became standard equipment.

-Nick :!:

Your tank is probably a replacement but I am wondering if your tank still out of a cherokee but possibly a 4 banger cherokee. It always seems they have a gas tank to fit the hunger of the motor. I have three jeeps all with 6 cyl and all with different fuel tank capacities. I am really not sure but just wanted to share a possibility. :?

post what you find out I am curious to know myself.

Not the same tank as the Wrangler, doubt the 15 to 20 trick will work. Sure is nice having the extra 5 gallons though ;)

yeah well I checked the invoices and the part number was not put on the tank (wonder if it came off a wreck) works fine but only holds the 15 gals --like I said the gage reads 20 and this was an early 91 weird (the a/c compressor for the 91 has a diff bolt pattern and wont bolt on my motor, but the 89-90 compressor will) so I guess my jeep was built on a FRIDAY HAHAHAHA

thanks y'all!

Back