gl-5 or gl-3..

darkwolf

hello everyone,

i just noticed the discussion and warnings about putting gl-5 into your transmission and now i

wonder;is this a '93 thing or does this go for my 1979,manuall 3-speed,cj-5 as well??

help me out guys cause i recently changed my oils..

and guess what oil i used..
image-missing.png
image-missing.png
[addsig]

the only reason the GL5 is bad is becuase it contains sulfer, which is corosive the the brass synchronizers in the newer jeep transmissions, i dont know whether or not the older transmission's is but if you're worried Redline MT90 is a synthetic GL4, and from what i hear is the best for them on the market...hope this helps[addsig]

i think youll be alright with the 5 in your three-speed, my 78 has had 5 in it for years. I got a 3 speed too. (on a seperate note, i love when someone tries to drive my 3 speed, sure as the sun rising, they'll reverse right into whatever is behind them.
image-missing.png
only funny when its not MY other jeep parked behind it)[addsig]

hey quikslvr,thanks buddy.i just checkt and found out it was gl-4 i used for my transmission...

so there's no need to panic
image-missing.png
image-missing.png

304forme,i know what you mean whit the shifting into reverse...ain't it fun when someone does that
image-missing.png
image-missing.png
image-missing.png
image-missing.png

thanks again folks...[addsig]

Just had to get my two cents here guys, but Mobil-1 makes a really good

synthetic gear oil that I use in the Trans. in my 99. It sure makes the thing

a LOT smoother, especially on those cold mornings. It seems that the

synthetic oils don`t thicken up as much as the conventioal ones do.

Only a thought!
image-missing.png
[addsig]

<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font class="pn-sub">Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT class="pn-sub"><BLOCKQUOTE>(on a seperate note, i love when someone tries to drive my 3 speed, sure as the sun rising, they'll reverse right into whatever is behind them.
image-missing.png
only funny when its not MY other jeep parked behind it)</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

When I took my Jeep to get emissions tested he put it reverse(thinking it was first) and the look of horror on his face when he was not going foward was priceless
image-missing.png
image-missing.png
image-missing.png
image-missing.png
[addsig]

I bet it was priceless.
image-missing.png
, ill only warn somebody if i like them, oh wait, I better like anyone who is allowed to drive my JEEP!![addsig]

Back