Going to replace clutch....

oleblue95yj

The next question is...

Gotta 95 yj 2.5l,Has anyone installed a clutch in one of these b4? If so, could you give me some pointers/tips on some problems I may face or anyone know of some website that may have good tech step by steps?problems i see is the removal of the linkage and i think the exhaust may be in the way of getting the transmission back....Does anyone know of a good non expensive clutch kit(under 175 bucks)?any and all advice would be appreciated.......THX

linkages are not a problem at all... they come off really easy... make sure you have an inverse torx E-12 for the bellhousing (for a 4.0 at least, may be different for the 2.5)... the exhaust will have to be removed.. and if you are in an area to get away with it... now would be a good time to hollow out that cat if you have not....

check this link for a good price on a clutch

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=33730&item=2454076453

Go to www.carolinaclutch.com and get a LUK brand replacement clutch. Don't get the Gold or anything fancy, the 2.5L does not need the extra holding power. LUK is a great OEM clutch.

The transfer case linkage comes off easy enough. For the transmission shifter, reach up under the transmission and slip the rubber cover off the shift tower where the shifter enters. Inside the shift tower, reaching in with your fingers, is a spring loaded collar around the shifter. Depress this and give it a 1/4 turn and your shifter will come straight up out of the transmission. If you can get it from underneath you'll have to remove the shift boots from inside but that's extra work if you can avoid it.

If you have an internal slave on that model change it out while you are in there, Better to do it now than to have to pull everything out again in the next few months. Seem they go after a clutch for some reason. tug

'94+ is external slave so you're good to go. '93 and before would be wise to upgrade to the external if changing a clutch.

if i had the money, i was going to swap to the external when i replaced my transmission... but.. didn't even have enough for a clutch... so i guess i'll have to change over when i burn that up

Back