Got any ideas???

untamed

Ok...I have a 97 2.5l automatic. In the morning it starts up great and drive straight to work. Get off work starts up fine...but if I drive for any length of time and turn it off, let it sit for a couple of minutes then try to start it it acts like its flooded and won't run...but if I wait 15min or longer it starts just fine. I have changed the cap and rotor, coil, front O2 sensor, spark plugs, wires, cleaned the air idle control valve, replaced the crankshaft sensor, cleaned the throttle body, checked for vacuum leaks and just put in fuel system cleaner in the tank. I'm hoping its not the fuel pump but to me it just doesn't add up to that. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanx

Later mod Tj's (00-04) have a heat soak issue due to gas vapor lock at the 3 rd injector. Check to see your fuel lines are not near anything hot like the exhaust. Possibly shield them. Start cheap with aluminum foil.

Well I will know by the end of the week what is wrong...I talked to a mechanic and he said I might have a leaky fuel injector. Which would explain why it will start up fine right after I turn it off or let it sit for awhile but not within a few minutes. There is to much gas build up which makes it act like its flooded and backfires. I will update this when I know for sure.

Final post on a lengthy problem...its not the fuel investors...but the fuel pump...in back posts some of you said fuel pump so pat yourself on the back.lol...the pump was only putting out about 23psi. The pump that was in there was only about 3-4 years old...the mechanic said he has seen alot of them go bad and basically they are a piece of crap. So here is a pic of it so maybe you can avoid it in the future.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120908_062737.png
    ForumRunner_20120908_062737.png
    448.6 KB · Views: 225

Hey!!! You have to watch out for those fuel investors...damn auto correct.

How's your jeep running?

Good news...got my jeep back and its amazing how much better it runs...new fuel pump and 4 new injectors. Its throttle response is what it should be, shifts when it should and starts up right away. Thanx for everyones help in getting this fixed.

Awesome! A happy ending is a good thing, drive & enjoy.

I have a 74 cj5 that acts the same way. If it sits n the garage over night it will start right up no problem and if for some reason you stall or kill it for just 5-10 secs it will start easily. But if you shut it off at the gas station when you go in to buy cold beer it takes a second or two to crank.

Back