Gotta love those Baptists!

mud4feet

RE: August goings ons..........

First of all, let me say that I do not wish to offend anyone who practices the Baptist faith and do not take my opinions to be those of the United Methodist Church or anyone who practices the Methodist faith. These are just my own personal ramblings and thoughts. That said......

Waynesville, NC is the home to Lake Junaluska Methodist Assembly.....the center of the Methodist faith here in the Southeast. There is a group called "Hearts on Fire" meeting here Labor Day weekend (as they do every other year in other parts of the country). Evidently, they are largely homosexuals and are meeting to discuss their lifestyle and how it relates to faith in Jesus and what not - not my concern, but theirs. Well........the local Baptist leaders (you may remember them from the CNN story about the local church that kicked out long time members because they voted for Kerry) have filled the local paper with very hateful, condemning letters (to the point that they took out a full page ad in the local paper - money well spent???) vilifying both these people and Lake Junaluska in general for this meeting. They have a tent set up where they'll have their meeting (and I'm quite sure, some very hateful rhetoric) and will organize protests to take place on this weekend. One of the Pastors wrote a letter where he quoted Mattew 7 (and I paraphrase very badly) something about the gate and the path being wide for sinning but the path and the gate being narrow for righteousness. He evidently missed the first verse "Judge not lest ye be judged." Latest news is the Klan is going to be here, too (yes, they're still around). FBI, SBI, local cops........the works!!! Strange bedfellows - the Klan and the Baptist leaders, don't you think??

Anyway, this weekend is also the Smokey Mountain Folk Festival at Lake Junaluska.....a favorite gathering for mudwoman and I!!! I'm just hoping we don't get caught in the crossfire!!! Wish us the best.....I'll keep you posted on the happenings (or maybe you can catch it on CNN!!! :lol: :lol: )

Judging not lest I be judged ( :shock: ),
mud

RE: moving to NC

Mud wrote:
He evidently missed the first verse "Judge not lest ye be judged."

To the contrary, almost everyone mis-interprets that passage, because they don't read the whole passage.

"Judge not, that ye be not judged. For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again. And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother's eye, but considereth not the beam that is in thine own eye? Or how wilt thou say to thy brother, Let me pull out the mote out of thine eye; and, behold, a beam is in thine own eye? THOU HYPOCRITE, first cast the beam out of thine own eye; and then shalt thou see clearly to cast out the mote out of thy brother's eye." (Matthew 7:1-5)

Read this again carefully. Notice that it is addressed to a hypocrite--

If you are a hypocrite, you have no buisness judging someone else or you will bring judgment on yourself in the process. Sounds pretty fair rules to live by.

On the other hand:

The Bible commands us TO JUDGE

The Lord Jesus Christ commanded, "Judge righteous judgment" (John 7:24). He told a man, "Thou hast rightly judged" (Luke 7:43). To others, our Lord asked, "Why even of yourselves judge ye not what is right?" (Luke 12:57).

The Apostle Paul wrote, "I speak as to wise men; judge ye what I say" (1 Corinthians 10:15). Again, Paul declared, "He that is spiritual judgeth all things" (1 Corinthians 2:15). It is our positive duty to judge

Now, that being said, I have no first hand knowledge of the goings on there and will not add too much to the issue. But in fact we are to judge things. If a dope dealer moved in next door and started doing his thing, I would judge that as illegal and harmful to my family and neighborhood and start doing what I had to do to get him out and in jail.

And no, I am not comparing the people mentioned in the post to dope dealers, I am just making an analogy of using good and justified, judgment.

RE: moving to NC

90Xjay said:
..............Now, that being said, I have no first hand knowledge of the goings on there and will not add too much to the issue. But in fact we are to judge things. If a dope dealer moved in next door and started doing his thing, I would judge that as illegal and harmful to my family and neighborhood and start doing what I had to do to get him out and in jail.

And no, I am not comparing the people mentioned in the post to dope dealers, I am just making an analogy of using good and justified, judgment.

Very, very good points, 90. I'm just wondering what the Baptists care about what us heathen Methodists are doin'? I just have a problem with anyone who thinks they have a monopoly on the truth. I am seeking as we all should be........I don't even profess to know "the Truth". I just wanna hear some good music without gettin' shot. :wink:

The "Hearts on Fire" people could meet and discuss their beliefs without ever causing this much fuss if they wanted to. They are pushing an agenda and people are pushing back.

Pointing out that the Baptists find themselves on the same side of this fence as the KKK is somewhat misleading. Bush and Saddam both hate mustard on their french fries.....what's the point?

I don't really know anything about the meeting, and I really have no strong feelings about it either way. I don't think either group really needs the attention.

Junkpile said:
The "Hearts on Fire" people could meet and discuss their beliefs without ever causing this much fuss if they wanted to. They are pushing an agenda and people are pushing back.

Pointing out that the Baptists find themselves on the same side of this fence as the KKK is somewhat misleading. Bush and Saddam both hate mustard on their french fries.....what's the point?

I don't really know anything about the meeting, and I really have no strong feelings about it either way. I don't think either group really needs the attention.

Yeah, the "Hearts on Fire" folk really weren't pushing anything......the press got a hold of it and then all hell broke loose (strange choice of words, eh?). Mustard on the french fries is kinda apples and oranges. I think the Baptist leadership and the KKK are pushing the same agenda. I'm just wondering why they gotta stick their noses into it. The little Baptist church down the road from me has a sign that says "Everyone welcome!"...........I'm wondering if it means those of "that persuasion"?

I just wish this stuff was goin' on somewhere else.......I wanna hear some Bluegrass!!!!.........without watchin' my back!!!

Katrina

I don't blame you Mud. Like I said, I don't have a dog in this fight anyway, and I really don't know anything about the specifics or the specific people involved.

Quote from senior pastor of that Baptist church:
"We didn't stand for no stinkin' liberals praisin' in this town and we damn sure ain't gonna stand for no praisin' pansys neither!"

Okay, seriously now... what did the hateful, condemning, and vilivying ads and letters say? I mean are they saying: "Queers go home" and making physical threats? or are they saying things like: "Homosexuality is a sin punishable by death" and quoting the Bible?

Reason I ask is the first would be, in my book, hateful and therefore inappropriate. As Mingez pointed out in another post there are laws against that now and the thought police can get you for that ;)

The second would be them proclaiming their beliefs which they have the right to do, it being appropriate is a matter of opinion. Big difference.

Sounds to me like all these folks could be spending their time more wisely... but that's coming from a guy who has to get up for work in 5 hours but is sitting in front of a computer instead of sleeping.

On that thought... nite nite

speakers question

Hope the Muds have fun with no drama down there. Stay safe.

RE: Chunky Monkey

I am not sure what the difference are between the Baptists or methodists nor do I really care. Mud folks stay safe.

Back