Head light aiming?

K-Phat

I just changed out my headlights in my TJ and the aiming is a little off. I was wondering what is the best way to go about fixing this issue. I don't clearly see any aiming knobs like the ones I have in my Talon.

remove the chrome vanity rings if you have 'em.. there are 3 torx screws around the headlight, 2 of them are used for aiming the headlights.

4.2 liter 258 for sale/parts wanted

I drove up real close to my closed garage door at night with my head lights on, so I could see exactly how off they were and the adjusted them to the perfect level. Good luck. Hey it worked for me :wink:

Hello K-Phat,

The link below will give you a driveway workable method of adjusting your headlights:

http://www.autooptiks.com/aiming.html

I aimed the "Bubbacon" headlights using a similar procedure.

(This might have been the display of mechanical wizardry that truly convinced the neighbors of my insanity.) :wink:

BTW, although you didn't ask, foglight (not driving light) aiming procedure is almost identical, except that the upper edge of the fog light bright spot should be set at 4-inches (vice 2-inches for the headlights) below the horizontal at 25-feet.

Personal experience caveat: The above method, if done correctly, will get your headlights in the ball park, but I think it might be worth going to a garage and paying for a pro headlight alignment. A little off at 25-feet will be a LOT off at 150 to 300-feet.

You can do the trigonometry. I am having my post-lunch coffee and at the moment feel too lazy to spell "hypotenuse."

:mrgreen:

Regards,

Gadget

Back