HELP ME!

WobblyHeadBob

Ok, so this rattling noise started...first a minor nuiscance, now a quite audible BANG! sound when I make a left turn or go over bumpy roads. I've got under the jeep to inspect a few key points and found that if I push'n'pull on the exhaust pipe (ahed of the cat) that I can reproduce the rattle, and if I stand on my step-side from the left and bounce I can reproduce the BANG! sound. I can't actually see anything move, but, obviously, something giving way and having a heck of a time staying put. Do you guys have any recommendations as to how to fix this? I realize I'll have to remove the heat-shield and that thing is a no joke piece hunk of metal...my real question is, is this something I can fix and if so how? :cool: [addsig]

Check both motor mounts, the transmission mount, and the torque mount next to the transmission mount.

Sounds like the loose exhaust pipe and the loud bang may be two different problems. Support your front axle on stands and try to wobble each front tire by grabbing at 12 and 6 o'clock positions. Check the front axle ujoints for wear.

Let us know what you find.[addsig]

Firstly, where abouts are these mounts located so that I can take a look at them...and what exactly am I looking for?

Secondly, its my belief that both problems are related since that banging noise comes from the same region as the rattle noise. I can eliminate the BANG! noise by taking my turns slowly and avoiding (in No. VA this is quite difficult!) any bumps in the road. Moreover, the motion and noise can be felt through the floor boards of the passenger side which also makes me lean in the direction of the cat and muffler.[addsig]

Back