Hey Morgster

allabs5150

I checked out the pics of you Jeep YJ....Thats one sweet ass Jeep bro...Only hope mine looks half that good when I get done..

What size wheels and tires are you running?
Is that a 4" superlift?
And can you explain what that switch you have does.... you called it a Posi Lok Axel Disconnect?

Thanks [addsig]

He is correct you have a great looking jeep! One of the cleanest set up I have ever seen. I think I have told you that before. Tug[addsig]

Pics are great Morgster....real clean. Just curious, you say you've owned it since new. I am wondering if you have encountered any of the problems that plague the YJ's (at least the early vintage ..87', 88', 89', 90' +)? I have just purchased a 1988 YJ with a 6 cyl/auto. My '83 CJ7 was in better shape than the one I got. BUT, I was in a hurry to snap up an automatic which are few and far between, and probably paid a few hundred too much. But water over the dam! Anyways the engine runs okay but idles terrible--about 1800 RPM in neutral. Also it has stall out tendencies at any stop, particularly at an abrubt stop. I see the stall out problem common on the message board. Was wondering if you encountered any of this? :-? [addsig]

My first reply is to allabs5150:
Thanks for compliment. I am running 33x12.5x15 Goodyear MTR's on Ultra 15x8 Aluminum Wheels. I have had no problems with the wheels except that they are a pain to keep looking nice. I will be changing to a steel wheel when I go to 35"s. (Haven't found the ones I want yet, just tired of looking at these)
The lift is a 3 1/2 Superlift "softride" spring set up and a front shackle reversal I built years ago, which added another 1 1/2 inches. Totaling a five-inch lift.
The switch on the front axle is a Posi-Lok cable that replaces the vacuum lines associated with engaging the 4WD. Over time the plastic and rubber vacuum lines become worn and brittle. This unit replaces all of those lines. It works great, with fewer parts to worry about.

chuckndonna67: Also thanks. I have made many changes over the years to try and find that extra horsepower and better gas mileage that included everything out there that was trick. My conclusion was to stay stock (pretty much) I have encountered idling problems, surging, knocking, stalling and more over the years. Usually the fix was very simple. (After I found the problem) My suggestion is to not overlook the small stuff. Vacuum lines are easy to replace if you do them one at a time. Make sure wire plug in connectors fit and seal properly. Check ground wires for good contact, and make sure all systems are in tact. Jeeps motors are designed to last. You will never get great gas mileage and performance is limited to relialibility at best. I'd say concentrate on stock parts that work properly, not spending your money on performance. As far as the carb. Rebuild kits are cheap and easy to do. The Internet is filled with simple instructions. If you read and follow them you will be fine. Tune-ups are also straightforward, again just follow the instructions. Most people I help have made some kind of changes they read about and when we return it to stock, the problems are solved. I have done the "nuter bypass" trick and returned back to stock. I have seen it work, but for me there was no advantage. My thought is that my Jeep has 250K miles on it and it hasn't let me down yet so I think stock works fine.
[addsig]

P.S.
Maybe I'm getting older, but, I love the Automatic.[addsig]

Where did you get that cage??? How much did it cost you man??? I want something exactly like that.

Did that posi in the front change anything about how well the front hooks up?

edited by: Jeepin91, Feb 22, 2003 - 11:17 AM[addsig]

The cage was designed and built by a fellow Jeeper and myself.
Total tubing and plate costs about $150.00? Labor....Beer?

The Posi-Lok cable engages and disengages quick, easy and as advertised... Positive.
I like it.

edited by: MORGSTER, Feb 23, 2003 - 12:54 AM[addsig]

Morgster.can you tell me where I can find that posi lok set up, or is it something you fabricated???[addsig]

Most 4wd shops, but Quadratec (800) 745-5338 has it in their latest (2003 Spring Edition) catalog, (Page 178) or go online to (www.quadratec.com) 4x4 Posi-Lok part #52435.00
It sells for $209.95 at QT, but I have seen it cheaper.[addsig]

Back