High speed shake

Hambonis

5.5 in RE what should i go for?

My car shakes at speeds over 50 mph. I have had the tires rebalanced twice, so I'm fairly convinced that is not the problem. It is a 2002 Wrangler 40,000 miles. Any ideas? Could it be the drive train?

It could be mad at you for calling it a 'car'. :lol: JK

Do you have a lift on your JEEP? Could be the dreaded death wobble.

Re: RE: What Kind of tires?

Did it ever ride smooth?

One time I had this same problem - came from using that fix-a-flat stuff. I was liquid, and would bounce around in the tires.

Perhaps a drive shaft problem?

south442 said:
It could be mad at you for calling it a 'car'. :lol: JK

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Good one, South!!!

On subject, have you check all your U-joints? Lots of them there and they could cause some shakin' before they start makin' noise.

mud4feet said:
south442 said:
It could be mad at you for calling it a South, thanks for calling me out on referring to my Jeep as a 'car.' Hopefully I'm allowed one freebie as a newbie. Also, many thanks to all that wrote. I am going to check out the U-joints to see if they are rusted.

Death Wobbble

Hi-Ya, Hambonis,

Suggest you look first for a bent wheel.

I had to run my CJ in gear at high-speeds (60 MPH+) with the rear wheels off the ground by jack-stands under the axle housing to find which of my rear wheels was slightly bent.

That after having had two shops do a four wheel tire balance-rotation.

Regards,

Gadget

After checking the alignment (driving through a puddle and checking tred marks), I was convinced it was something with my drive train. I finally caved and took it to a dealer. It turns out that my front drive train was dented and that was causing the shakes at high speeds.

Hmmmm, I've got an '01 TJ Sport and just had the tires rotated, balanced, and had an alignment. I still get the 'shakes' at approx 50 - 55 mph and anything above 70 mph... I've only had it about 7 months, and it only has 46k, so you guys think I should have the drive train checked out?

another thing to think about is the bushings in the control arms. when the jeep designers designed the tj's, they used as soft of a bushing as possible in the control arm w/o getting tooo soft. its possible this could be wearing out and causing this. when you hit a bump at high speeds it will resonate more through the arms than it would at low speeds

Back