Hitch for a Jeep Liberty

landrew

Hey all,

I am new to this board so please take it ez on me!!

I own a 2002 Jeep Liberty Limited and I have been looking for a Hitch & and a Bike Carrier for my Jeep. Does anybody have any suggestions??? I was looking at the Draw-Tite hitches but I wanted to hear some opinions first before I purchase. Also any suggestions on Bike carriers would be appreciated as well. I'm looking to carry 2 mountain bikes.

Thanks,
Lloyd
2002 Black Jeep Liberty Limted

edited by: landrew, Jun 22, 2003 - 09:07 PM[addsig]

Lloyd:

You may want to consider looking at Thule or Yakima for a hitch mount bike carrier. These two manufacturers are well known for their multi-sport carrier systems. I know Yakima has a website and I'm sure Thule does as well. Personally, I would stay away from the official Jeep stuff for a few reasons (overpriced, inferior product, and/or Thule & Yakima are already building the racks for Jeep with additional mark-up).

Hope this helps.

Brian[addsig]

Thanks Brian for the info. Have you seen a bike carrier on a Jeep Liberty?? The reason I ask is because a lot of retailers cringe at the fact that I have a spare tire on the back thus the clearance is tight and they can't guarantee that it would fit??

-Lloyd
2002 Black Jeep Liberty Limited[addsig]

LLoyd:

As I work part-time in an outdoor sporting goods shop I knew that Yakima previously had manufactured a rack for a spare tire mount. Don't know if it is still available. I also recall that a hitch mount was available which swung away from the rear of the vehicle. This type of rack was designed to deal with those vehicles which had rear hatches which opened from the side (like a traditional door) vs. the typical hinged at the top, open from the bottom hatch. I would like at the Yakima website as I believe they have an online vehicle fit guide. I don't think your request is extraordinary and one of these two companies whould be able to take care of your request. You can also call them direct if you do not find the fit you are looking for out on the website.

Good Luck

Brian[addsig]

Back