How many miles is too many on a used Jeep?

DieTrying

Hey,

I was looking at 1994 Jeep Wrangler Renegade. It looked like it was in great shape and a solid vehicle until I read that it had aquired 192,000 miles in only 11 years. Would this be a bad investment. What is the likelihood of the Jeep just dying tomorrow. Also what is the relevance of the word "renegade"

Thanks,

Alex Kirkwood

That is a bunch of miles for any kind of an auto. If the Jeep is as you say solid and it is not over priced then you are not going to be hurt. Jeeps by nature need a bit more TLC than most rides on the market. JEEP or Just Empty Every Pocket. If it runs well the frame and body are not rust riddled and it drives it could be a real good thing. Any how welcome to Jeepz and I hope others here will be a bit more helpful than I. Good Luck and with all that being said you will never have a more fun to drive ride in your life. tug

RE: suspension

Just about any vehicle is a bad investment in my book. The I-6 that Jeeps use is a fairly solid motor and I've seen them running into 300,000 miles with just a little smoke at startup. As with any used vehicle there are things to look at closely to determine the true value of the ride. My guess is with that many miles it's seen more highway than anything else. Look over everything real close, check the 4-wheel drive system and make sure everything is working. Get up under those big pretty fenders and check for rust where they attach to the body. The renegade package had thick carpeting so make sure you look under it in front of the driver and passenger seats on the floor as the thicker carpeting tends to hold moisture longer. The 91-94 Renegade package was a short-lived part of Jeep history that came with upgraded interiors and those big honkin' fenders. If you look it over and decide it's what you want then pick it up and take care of it because they're getting rarer by the year. Welcome aboard, hope I helped.

Welcome to jeepz. The Renegade was a factory trim package that included some unique front fenders that connect to the front bumper, all the way to the ends of the bumper.

Just go over the jeep closely, it may not be a bad deal depending on how much they're asking for it. Check for bad seals in the engine, transfer case, and axles. Also check for oil in the air filter, an easy fix but a great bargaining tool.

I have 154,000 on my '94 and I'd drive it anywhere. I've had a few bumps in the road, but nothing major-good luck finding the right Jeep for you.

If it has the I-6, I have found in all my research that these engines like their mileage... Give her a try... If it runs well, and the body is good, pick it up... Check to make sure that the things that are working are indeed working, but if you can pick it up for a reasonable price, the cash you save can always be used to fix the things that aren't... Good luck, hope it works out for you...

And welcome to Jeepz!

RE: I got stiffed...(Part Deux)

192,000 in 11 years isn't too far-fetched. I think national average for a daily driver is 15,000 a year. That's still less than the 20,000 a year I put on mine. Had a '85 Toy 4x4 with 275,000 on it when I sold it in '03. My '94 Jeep had 54,000 on it when I bought it last January. As with what others have said, check the 4x4 parts, rust, engine, etc., but also do what I did when I was shopping. I looked at 25 to 30 Jeeps before I found mine. Crawl underneath and look at the skid plates and axles and other parts that hang low. It they're all beat up, scraped, scratched and rusty, or if they appear to be brand new (look for the paint on the bolts that hold them on to see if they've been removed), it's probably had a pretty rough life. I could tell mine had never been off road, and I even called the previous owner on it. She confirmed that, and said she rarely even drove it in the rain, left it garaged all the time. I got a heck of a deal on mine, and I have no doubt it'll last me another 15 or 20 years. If the one you're looking at is reasonably priced, and all the aforementioned components and trouble spots look good, by all means, jump on it.

How much are they asking, by the way?

RE: Paragon Feb 19th

I can't say I'd buy it as my only vehicle, but it would be a good investment. Expect to put some $$ into repairs inthe near future, but it will run a long time....

CJ Head

I bought my 91 with 198k on the 4.0... still goin at almost 207k. One thing is if the rear main seal starts leaking, FIX IT ASAP! You don't want to let the rest of the crankshaft bearings farther up the motor get any play in them.

Joop

i got my '96 XJ with 120,000 and only prob i had was with the fuel pump and filter went bad. There is no rust, and no leaks.................yet

Back