how to tell the difference?

alexxela13

ok so now i know it is (hopefully) either my piston rings or my valve seals, how do i tell the difference when im taking the valve cover off, and or the entire head??

I WOULDN'T SAY HOPEFULLY ON THOSE RINGS. Won't be able to tell if it is the rings by taking the valve cover off.

Lift Install Question???

if you have a compression tester check the compression on each cylinder, and write down the readings for each one, then put like a teaspoon of oil in one of the cyls and do the compression test again, if the compression goes up higher the the original reading then its the pistons, if not then its your valves, after you rule out the piston rings as not being the problem you can do a cylinder leak down test, thats when u fill the cylinder with compressed air and listen near then head, radiator fill cap, or over flow tank for bubbles or air noise. its pretty easy if u have the tools. where are you located?

What's it mean if there's smoke coming out after opening the oil fill cap?

well.. smoke from the oil filler means there is blowby somewhere... it could be smoke moving past the rings, through the crankcase, and up into the valve cover through oil passages... or it could be smoke blowing by the valves and seals into the valve cover... either way... if smoke can get by, chances are oil can get by

5spd Transmission drain/fill plugs

it does smoke when i remove the oil filler cap, i wondered that, my bro said it just the engine is so hot, but he an idiot. the exhaust makes a lil niose when i rev the engine, like a little gragging as it starts to quiet down. im located in florida, about 45 miles east of orlando. city called titusville. ill do those compression checks if it will help narrow down the choices i have. so is it more liley it is the valves if the smoke comes out of the oil filler cap??

Drive your Jeep.

Look in the rearview as you punch it.

Do you see smoke ? Yes = piston rings

Downshift and let off the throttle. During hard deceleration do you see smoke ? Yes = Valve seals.

If you see smoke during both tests ?
Yes = Both Valve seals & piston rings are worn.

Hey Mack I use to deliver 64000 lbs of Rayovac Flash Light Batterys from the east coast to Hayward just beside the small Airport. There was a small deli right at the airfield I use to eat at can not remember the name of it. Ran by 2 gals real nice folks. Nice area. tug

Back