How would u know????????

DannyBlaze

whats the best way to chech if my shock are still good..i know a jeep ride is pretty ruff...but somtimes when i hit a pot hole or a speed bump straight on (not going fast) a loud bang is heard...whats the best way of knowing if my shocks are shot...they seem...ok..i guess...but...there the stock ones and my jeep is a 93..u know...when i press down on my bumber..i cant see the jeep goes down, then back up..and there is a slight sideway motion....

any suggestions on how to make shure ???
Thanks

Dan

edited by: DannyBlaze, Mar 11, 2003 - 12:15 AM[addsig]

Sounds like your bump stops are shot or gone! Tug :-? [addsig]

I would like to give you an answer but I cant exactly. All I can tell you is that its a jeep. When you hit stuff you hear it. :) :) :) [addsig]

my xj makes all kinds of noises when it's got people in the back....but it's quiet when there is no one in the back seat. Could it just be the weight?

One way to tell...it when you push down on the front of the back, does it bouce like a basket ball or just come back off. Ever see the movie Uncle Buck. His car when he shuts the trunk bounces like 10 times. Tipically good shocks will rebound or bounce maybe once depending on how much you push down. If it keeps bouncing then you have a problem.

That's my two cents
pinaplebob[addsig]

You could also have some bad springs. Shocks will only absorb and restrict fast movement... though.. they only do their job when mated with a good set of springs. if there is nothing to hold up the weight during travel.. your suspension will give all the way. If your springs are weak, your shocks will bottom out fast. [addsig]

Seems my shocks compress till my bump stops hit my axels...
but everyhting seems fine...how would i know if my leafs are done ???

Do they arch or are they flat or are they in a negitive arch! Anything other than arched is bad! Mine are flat and my tires will rub the flares on small bumps with any kind of weight in the back seat. Shocks are pretty new and bump stops are shot. tug :-( [addsig]

If your leaf springs have a negative arch to them they are probably going dead :p [addsig]

shit...they dont ... :-x im probably stressin' about nothing!!!!...

whats the softest ride:
-Stock
-SOA
-4" Suspension lift

...according to u guys and ur experiences... ?[addsig]

the weight of one person can push your bump stops down to your axle... the springs are probably shot... the springs are intended to prevent that from happening... My springs were shot in the rear.. and I installed new leafs to my pack the last few days. I am VERY IMPRESSED with my suspension now. I suggest it to anyone with the same problem[addsig]

Check the bushings on the:
  • Shocks
  • Swaybar endlinks
  • Front and Rear trackbars

The smoothest riding shocks are probably Doetsch-Tech 3000's and Rusty's Offroad Hydro's.

SOA is much smoother than any spring lift, as it uses the stock springs. Flat springs will give a smoother ride than an arched spring.

edited by: Bounty__Hunter, Mar 11, 2003 - 05:33 PM[addsig]

checkthem visually for any leaking. also test drive 30-40 mph and hit the brakes kinda hard. if the jeep nose dives then the shocks are weak. also when turning quick does the vehicle sway or dip?accelerate quick and if the rear end drops then the shocks are weak. if they have 60-75000 miles they should be replaced. the fluid in a shock loses its viscosity just like engine oil does. hope i helped-just attended monroe clinic. p.s. testing by pushing on the bumper doesnt do it. shoks control ride.not height.[addsig]

Back