i found a funky carb

superj

i saw a dude had a craigslist ad with mopar parts as the title. being bored and wondering what mopar parts where in it, i opened the ad and saw it had an intake with a holley two barrel on it for make an offer. i called him and offered him 20 bucks and he said sounds good but i have to take the intake also 8). anyways, i pick it up and take it home and don't really look at it much except i do notice it indeed says holley, big as day and it looks stock. later in the afternoon, i unbolt the carb from the intake and spray it down to see how it looks and if its all frozen and surprisingly, nothing was frozen and the cleaner i sprayed into the fuel inlet squirts through to the venturi when i work the throttle arm :D. i am fairly interested now and go google the car he told me it came off and sure enough, the holley is the stock carb. i haven't broken it open yet but i did go measure the bolt spacing because it was smaller then my adapter for the motorcraft and the bolt spacing is identical to the jeep intake bolt spacing for a stock carb :shock::shock::shock:. i thought nothing was bolt on but the stock carb?

i took some pics for you guys and got the numbers off the body but i found this carb goes for about 10 bucks on ebay and came on a large number of late 60s and early 70s dodge v8s from the factory so they are super plentiful. hopefully, i can get it cleaned up and bolted on with proper jets sometime soon so we can have an easily bolted on factory dodge carb for everyone to us so we don't have to run all those stacked spacers with the good old motorcraft carbs.

anyways, on to the pics:

36-1.jpg

it says r6452a and was produced in oct of 73

35-1.jpg

same side to try and get the lettering easier to read

34-1.jpg

again

32-1.jpg

spacing

31-1.jpg

long spacing

30-1.jpg

intake bolts on the one the carb came off

29-1.jpg

28-1.jpg

top of carb, holley is big as day on it

what do you guys think? anyone ever heard of this carb being tried on our jeeps? i hope it works because i have having all those dang spacers

Any idea how many CFMs it's pulling?

no. i have looked on tons of sites googling that number and i cannot find any specs on it. i really hope it will work good but i have reservations since i cannot find anything. i don't want to be bummed out because of how lucky it is to have the same bolt pattern

ok, i found one thing on HAMB and it lists the 2210 holley carb (which is what i am lead to believe the r6452a is as 260-340 cfm. this carb was used on everything from the dodge 318 up to the dodge 400 v8s and the IH 315v8 up to whatever their large v8 is. everything says its a great carb.

i just hope all this info i am finding it right.

Last edited:

this carb looked like brand new on the inside. the jets are marked 661 and are huge. i am sure they are to big to run in this engine but i will put it together while i wait for a jet kit to come in and give it a shot.

Nice find.. old parts are fun to play with.. I've been looking for an original stromberg 97 (in my price range) for some time now.. actually looking for three of them. If you find one, let me know :D

this is what holley returned when i emailed them:

the 6452 model 2210 was manufactured by holley for chrysler to their specifications. chrysler used them on 1973 360 california emission applications. the chrysler number is 3698330

ok guys, finally installed this carb. my measurements were not as right as i thought, the holes were off by alot on each hole. at first i was kind of mad because i had already taken off every thing off and had everything all set up to install the holley. since the holes were off so horribly because i measured the weber adapter when i checked the stud measurements, i installed one of my motorcraft carbs instead. the one i wanted to put on has the little bb looking ball stuck in it so i put one a little larger on and it wasn't right, of course. so, i took it off and looking at the holley i decided screw it, i have already rebuilt and got everything set up, i am just going to get my dremel and match the holes to the studs.
it worked out beautifully!!
i installed the holley and turned the key to run so the fuel pump would prime the bowl for a few seconds and then turned the key and it fired right off. it didn't stay running though so i adjusted the jets out to 2.0 turns and the idle screw out to 1/4 turn and turned the key to start again. no-go again but it stayed running for a few seconds. so i turned the idle screw out another 1/2 a turn and fired it up again and this time it stayed running. idled dead on 500rpm. i adjusted the mixture jets in a little and turned the distributor advanced a bit and the idle moved up to 750 and has been dead rock solid ever since.

i took it for a spin to orielly's to get a filter and adapter and it has a noticeable flat spot so i imagine tomorrow i will get out the timing light and see where i am riding and then fiddle with it to get that flat spot worked out. after that, i have to figure out some way to get the kick down for the transmission to adapt to this new set up. i think i am going to use a cable instead of all the metal bars that are the stock kick down though.

i attached two photos for your enjoyment

Attachments

• 2011-06-25 20.54.48.jpg
    2011-06-25 20.54.48.jpg
    925.6 KB · Views: 247
  • 2011-06-25 20.54.56.jpg
    2011-06-25 20.54.56.jpg
    920.1 KB · Views: 224
kick down is hooked up. a problem since i put this carb on is its awfully hard to push the pedal. alot harder then the weber. moving it by hand, its fine so i think its the accelerator cable but i'll find out some time this week as i believe we are taking the wrangler to rio frio for the 4th.

still have a slight flat spot. timing is rock steady on 8 degrees and i have adjusted the linkage for the enrichment pump to no play at all. that almost got the flat spot to disappear but not completely.

Back