i looking for a new jeep

sq2billy

first of all i had a '84 cj7 it had so many prob. that i could not fix it b/c mom and dad told me that my free ride was over so i had to buy a house of my own well with that i had to say good bye to my old cj. 2 yrs later my long time girlfriend is now my old lady :lol: lol and she told me that i need a hobby and said i should get a jeep for us to play with. now my :?: is automatic or a straight drive she has a hard time with a stright drive.
:idea: i know if i get a staight drive i be doing alot of the driving. i would rather have a 5 speed but are the autos ok. im looking for a '91 or newer
thanks for the help

I prefer a manual transmission, and it really comes in handy when you are in 4-lo trying to control your rpms. I would opt to teach her to drive a stick, it may come in handy one day.

Get a '99 TJ if you want to be one of the cool kids. [/wistful-funnyness]

Last edited:
I'll start by saying I have had both, and personally love my auto alot better than the 5sp. If you drive mostly on the street than get a 5sp it will be more fun. I have found I have lots more control with the auto especially in the rocks and technical climbs.

autos are ok. i be doing a lots of driving in my auto jeep what used to be a straight drive. straight drives are for guys who have no wimmen to hold with there right arm.

There are two trains of thought here. It mostly depends on what type of off-roading you will be doing. Automatics are the only way to go if your going to try rock crawling. in 4 low to 4:1 low, there are too many pedals and not enough controls over the RPM's on the rocks for a clutch. Now if your going to see a lot more loose stuff, forest roads, sand and mud bogs....the Auto robs too much torque, and doesn't allow you to select the RPM range that a good old manual transmission offers.

I think it also matters how heavily you're gonna offroad your jeep. If you're just out to run around and play in the dirt and you're not too worried about being hard core technical then it doesn't matter either way. Whatever gets you out into the dirt and gets you muddy is good enough. Once you want more than that then you need to look at what you really need.

8) I have the good ole T-4 in my "7". I installed a finger throttle in the gear shift lever. This gave me all the controll I need in the technnical sections of the harder trails I like to run. It takes a little practice, but in my opinion, this is the only way to go. Mannys will last alot longer, and cost less to maintain.8)

thanks yall for all the help. we get to go this weekend to look at some autos and mannys.:lol: you know the funny thing is a friend told me after i sold the cj is that "jeeps are like lay's chips you cant have just one you get another one" ooohhh so true, so true :purple:

Back