I need a "how to" on replacing a 97 TJ clutch!

Laubs

RE: Looky at what I did!

It's my first time replacing a clutch so I need some help! It's a 97 Tj with 96,000 on it and I do very little off roading. I posted a topic on Thursday saying a was hearing a clicking in the gas petal and sure enough I started out on my trip, got 10 miles out of town, and the clutch went...so here I am ready to tear into my Jeep!

Support vehicle on jack stands.
Drain tcase and transmission fluid.
Remove driveshafts.
Remove tcase from vehicle.
Remove transmission from vehicle.
Replace clutch.
Reinstall transmission and tcase.
Install driveshafts.
Fill transmission and tcase with fluid.
Very easy process, can be done in a day as long as you have the right tools and all parts.

RE: combat advice

Don't forget important steps like having the flywheel turned, using a clutch alignment tool, proper torque specs, replacing the pilot bushing, etc. Not as easy as you make it seem, especially for the first-timer.

RE: TJ rear tow hook

Laubs said:
It's my first time replacing a clutch so I need some help! It's a 97 Tj with 96,000 on it and I do very little off roading. I posted a topic on Thursday saying a was hearing a clicking in the gas petal and sure enough I started out on my trip, got 10 miles out of town, and the clutch went...so here I am ready to tear into my Jeep!

1) Drive it 40 miles south to Lanieacs house with a case of beer!
2) Bang on his door
3) explain the purpose of being there
4) crack a beer and hand it to him so he does not crack your head for being there at 6:30 am on a Sunday!
5) crack one open for yourself
6) keep 2 handy, put the rest in fridge
7) BS for a few minutes about "other" mods you "want" to do.
8) Inspect new clutch parts
9) Crack second beer
10) Take transmission out, slap da' new clutch in, no need for spec torque.... just wrench it till it won't go no more!
11) Take a smoke break, polish off the second beer
12) Reinstall transmission, grab the rest of the rack from the fridge, thank Lane and toss him another beer!
13) Drive back to Portland, meet up with some hot chick and tell her you're sorry your late, YOU just had to install a new clutch all by yourself, she'll drool at your handiness, you'll get happy and life will be good!

Sorry I could not be of any REAL help....... :lol:

First get the Factory Service manual here https://techauthority.gltghosting.c...rHome?storeId=10051&langId=-1&catalogId=10051
With out it you're just working blind.

You'll also need a transmission/t-case jack. I bought this when I did mine http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=39178

I bought my LUK Gold Kit and master cylinder here http://www.dialaclutch.com/progoldstorecont.htm Besure to buy the full kit and master cylinder.

Becareful having the flywheel turned. On TJs they went to a conical shape (not flat like all before the TJ). I'm not sure if they can be turned or maybe if some one who knows what they are doing could do it.

These are your first steps but you can save about $500.00 doing it yourself IF you have time and help.

Back