i want onboard air!!!

slo-wrench44

ok i have an ac compressor from an old ford pick up truck. still worked when it was pulled. so what do i need now to put it on my 88 yj? i will fab up a mounting bracket and run a v belt to it. and run a wire for power to a switch. i need a tank. where to mount it? i want to be able to run an impact gun, die grinder,and fill my tires up when i'm out wheeling. also hard lines or plastic lines? any thoughts? thanks guys.

Well thats a tall one to answer:
First off you will need a mounting bracket to mount your compressor if you don't know where or how I would suggest you go to Kirby Enterprises to get some of your questions answered. They have a large selection of diagrams and parts your going to need including your oil separator. I found my regulator at Evco and recommend it over Kirby's because of the size.

As to where to mount your tank I suggest a 1.5 gal, mounted under the tub, some where near the underside of the drivers seat. I have one picture of my tank under my Jeep.
It doesn't so that much but it should give you an idea.

I wouldn't hard line my tank nor my compressor since they vibrate too much.
I wrote a small section on my web page on how I did it with 600 psi/600 degree air brake lines from Evco house of hoses. We have three jeeps in our group that have gone this way and all three of us agree it was the best investment as of yet.

And if your interested in it give me a PM and I will shoot you the numbers for the tanks dump valve...as the web page says I am lazy and don't wish to climb under the jeep every time to drain the tank.

food for thought. i saw a guy who plugged up his roll cage and piped air through it, turing it into a tank. doesnt hold a whole lot, but adds to what u got. just saying
reggie

I have a small write up of my oba install in my 93 YJ you can see if you go to my cardomain site which is linked above my picture. Check the kilby website and see if the mounting bracket needed for your 88 YJ is the same as my 93 YJ. If it is I have detailed pictures with a ruler next to my mounting plate for all the exact measurements of the plate and the mounting holes. This mounting plate is designed for use with a York 210 compressor.

i have a buddy in a club that makes steel bumpers called "cadilac bars" that intergrate into a air tank. they're pretty coo.

I put my 5 gal air tank where the factory jack was, since I have a TJ gas fill on my YJ, I have a Air disconnect behind the lisence plate, and on under the hood right on the tank.

I think Joopin has seen my set up at pap couple years back.

you guys are great. thanks alot. i think i will be useing a stainless steel braided line from the ac pump because i know it gets hot. i will plum it with the big arse rubber air lines they use on tractor trailers air cans. i get a discount because i work on the rigs in my shop. lol. should be cheap enought but will i be able to run the die grinder ??? i know it uses alot of volume and ac units can put out 300 psi of pressure . again the beauty of my job free parts and lots of knowledge from use. just getting the specifics down befor i start is a pain lol thanks guys

What kind of compressor did you get out of the Ford? Most people use Yorks because they have an oil resevoir and do not need lubrication through the circulating a/c coolant. If it's not a York you might run into lubrication problems since it will not longer be circulating but just blowing air straight out of it.

Last edited:
Back