Intake/Exhaust Mods

Raptor660

After repeated removal & installation of the air-box on my 99 Cherokee, I noticed the opening in the front of the box is tiny. It seems to have about the same dimensions as a pack of smokes.

I was thinking about throwing a K&N cone on the end, and then imagined how well that would work next time I cross the river, so I figure I'd better build a snorkel. Does anyone know of any decent ones on the market that are reasonably priced? I'm thinking for the money, I might just fabricate one out of aluminum or stainless. For price, it would be nice to use PVC, but I think the sun out here would destroy it in a couple years.

Has anyone made one that turned out pretty nice? If so, what did you use? Also, I'm trying to find the formulas and info for calculating and matching up intake and exhaust cfm's and sizes for the motor. Does anyone know if significantly opening up the intake and exhaust will have any negative effects on the sensors (TPS, MAP, etc) or will the ecu automatically compensate?

Thanks for the help, and BIG thanks to SteelHeadz for all the help on the vacuum leak and coolant leak issues.

Your Welcome anytime. I can only give you an answer on the sensors and PCM, The rest of your questions are better left off for the experts here that has done it. As for the TPS and Map sensor, there shouldn't be much of a big impact when it comes to the intake and exaust mods. however, the O2 sensors may be affected with an exaust modification if not properly placed on the exaust pipe. The ECU or PCM has whats called the Adaptives. There are 2, Long term and Short term adaptives. these are Information Gathered from all the sensors on the engine including the O2 sensors on the exaust. Both long term and short term adaptives can re -learn by resetting the PCM. so yes, it should be able to compensate.

Your ECU will adjust for most all intake and exhaust mods short of adding a turbo or supercharger.

If you're interested, I have 62mm throttle bodies available for under $100, as well as matching 62mm TB spacers. Add an intake tube with a conical filter and your intake side will be ready for more power and better mileage.

Back