It just stops!

bucholzi

Hello!
My 89 cherokee laredo 4.0L won't run! It's starts as normal, but imidiately it stops :( , within a second or so. This happens every time. I haven't got a clue what the problem might be, so I need help! Please!

-Simen

check the obvious first... fuel filter/fuel pump... sounds like a fuel delivery problem. something may be clogged....

I haven't checked the fuel supply yet, since the engine starts nicely but stops very shortly after releasing the starter. This happens every time, and it never struggles to start, and it just cuts clean. It stops just as when you turn the ignition off. So i would guess it has got suficient fuel. And it's 2-3 degrees celsius outside.

But I was wondering about the coil, I tried to measure the resistance between ground (the iron ring around the coil) and + on the coil and it seems like there's no connection at all. It should be very low resistance, close to zero, shouldn't it? Could the coil be failing?

bucholzi said:
since the engine starts nicely but stops very shortly after releasing the starter. This happens every time, and it never struggles to start, and it just cuts clean. It stops just as when you turn the ignition off.

Hi,

Before you get into swapping parts, focus on the following clues:
> Only runs when starting, and ignition switch is in START position
> Dies after releasing from START position, and ignition switch is in RUN
> Dies as if Ignition switch is cut off, shows it's electrical problem

The following clues above immediately would make me susupect a BAD ignition switch or a bad/corroded connection to the ignition switch. The Igniton switch contacts for the RUN position could be broken or burnt, causing the switch not to work in RUN... or the switch may Not be getting power to it's RUN position terminals due to a bad wiring splice in the Fuse-block or harness...

Basically, without a working RUN position, it is as if you are starting the Jeep then immediately shutting it off... and fuel injected engines aren't happy without power :mrgreen:

-Nick :!:

horn assembly

I picked out the ignition switch and testet it, and it appears to work just fine. The engine also seems to run a bit longer after releasing the starter, than it used to do (when it worked) when the ignition was turned off.

Does the coil generate an extra boost when starting the engine, and then drops when you release the starter?

:idea: I've got another Idea:

There is a little porcelain block mounted to the driver's side wall of the engine compartment called the Ballast Resistor....

Basically, when you start the Jeep, the Ballast Resistor is BYPASSED, so the fuel pump receives 12 volts. Then, when you release the Ignition switch from START to RUN, the Ballast resistor is introduced back into the circuit, and the fuel pump is only receiving 9 volts. This is done to help quiet the pump and to keep it from over heating.

What you need to do is unplug the two plugs from the ballast resistor and place an Ohm meter across the terminals. Make sure a resistance is recorded, and that the ballast resistor hasn't become bad internally, causing an OPEN circuit, and thus no power reaching the fuel pump in RUN :mrgreen:

I tried to locate this resistor, but had no luck. And I can only find it in wiring diagrams in my manuals, and that doesn't help me alot.. Do you have a more spesific description of location and what it looks like?

I also found some more specific specs on the coil, which said that the resistance between the high voltage cable terminal and + terminal should be between 11,300 to around 15.000 ohms (depending on manufacturer). Mine only reads around 5.000 ohms, and appearantly should be replaced.. However, the manufacturer of mine was not listed (italian brand, marelli magnets or something), but the others were very similar (all had 11,300 ohms as the minimum of the range).

I really appreciate the input :)
This engine is totally different and way more complex than the ones I have tampered with earlier..

You are looking for a small rectangular shaped ceramic block, with two electrical terminals on it's face...

Look at the front of your Jeep and under the engine compartment. See your Air filter assembly? Look to the right... and you'll see some electrical devices mounted to the wall of the engine compartment. It should be mounted on that wall, sort of near the Windshield wiper reservoir.

Hope that's clearer, if not I can take pictures tommorrow. :mrgreen:

It works!!

It was that ballast resistor thingy! It was a bad connection.. I was just a little confused at first since it was labelled audi/volkswagen.

Million thanks, you saved me a lot of grief and frustration!

Back