jeep cj5 idol issue

sweetpeet

Ive got a jeep cj5 and i can just barely get it started but when I do i have to keep my foot on the petal. now i attached a picture, a buddy of mine said that the circled part( I don't really know what the name of it is) is faulty. so I need some help real bad and I know this isnt a whole lot of information to go on but any help you can give me is greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• engine-huge.jpg
    engine-huge.jpg
    247.7 KB · Views: 16,172
Last edited:

Is it carburated? Maybe the idle pin can be adjusted?

That circled item is the distributor. There are numerous things that can cause a poor idle. I would refrain from just poking around in the dark as you could make the situation worse.

Has the Jeep been like this since you owned it? Did the problem just start? Did it get progressively worse? Does it matter if it's warmed up or not?

Could be a bunch of things.. timing, carb not adjusted correctly, fuel delivery issues.. etc.

Sometimes, you'll save money by just taking the hit up front and having someone else look at it... better than throwing good money after bad.

problem solved, I just needed to adjust the idle pin.

thanks shewilly

ok guys now I'm having the same problem again. only this time I have tried to adjust the idol pin. this time it is able to kick on but then once I let off the starter,the engine quits. I did have a problem with the grade of gas(premium grade, rather than regular) I was using yesterday, but it still ran, it just backfired a lot. does anyone know what is going on this time?

It sounds like a dirty carb. Clean it out and set it up. Make sure that if you do take it apart, write down how many times the air/fuel mixture screws are screwed in. I would assume it has two A/F screws.

Carb work is light. If all else fails, you could get an Offenhauser 4 bbl intake with a little Holley 4bbl and swap in a set of headers... :shades:

It sounds like a dirty carb. Clean it out and set it up. Make sure that if you do take it apart, write down how many times the air/fuel mixture screws are screwed in. I would assume it has two A/F screws.

Carb work is light. If all else fails, you could get an Offenhauser 4 bbl intake with a little Holley 4bbl and swap in a set of headers... :shades:

ya i am planning on getting a holly double barrel carb but not for a while becouse I havent got the money yet. but how eould i clean out a carb? do I just detach it and wipe it out?

but another thing that came to my mind, I did put premium gas in my tank(ya i know im an idot!) i might just sifon it out and fill it with regular gas and crank it a few times.

The Premium Gas won't hurt it. Don't waste your time siphoning it out.

ya i am planning on getting a holly double barrel carb but not for a while becouse I havent got the money yet. but how eould i clean out a carb? do I just detach it and wipe it out?

Take out the jets, and clean them with a small wire. I like wound guitar string. Poke all the little passages with wire and spray everything down with carb cleaner. I would also bet some gas jelled up in the float bowl, so a small wire brush or dremel with a wire wheel works great to scrub it clean.

If you don't know what is what on your carb, do some research and find an exploded view of your carb on Google.

Back