Jeep Mods that you've regretted

TerryMason

Administrator
Staff member
So what modifications have you guys done that you've come to regret over the years? I'll get the ball rolling:

• 3" body lift on my rusty CJ5 - it was just too unstable.
  • Dome Light Switch Clips - these things never worked right.
  • Rear bumper mount for my Hi-Lift jack - it was just too low and would have hit everything. I never even installed it.

Putting the 4 l back in.
Home built rear bumper and tire carrier
Roof racks. Leaked water
H4 headlight conversion. Lenses lasted a week.

Warrior non-adjustable control arms, they lasted 8 months and were scary trashed when they came out

I wish i haden't installed the durango steering box. It's suposed to be heavier duty than the YJ box but it won't steer anywhere near as sharp.

any weber or motorcraft two barrel carbs.

just never ran perfectly, it seemed.

tube bumpers

Tire carrier. That mothereffer rattles something terrible. Can't find any way to permanently stop it. Not so noticeable with windows in, but if I am off road and riding some rocks, esp a creek bed... OMFG!!! I can't tell if my tire carrier is clinking or if I've broken something!

I cannot complain enough.

they look terrible. i have one, and the wife had two on her 93 wrangler. all of them look horrible.
do these look bad?

Attachments

• skyline drive,union springs trail 008.JPG
    skyline drive,union springs trail 008.JPG
    836.4 KB · Views: 1,348

How about these?

Attachments

• image-338229367.jpg
    image-338229367.jpg
    415 KB · Views: 862
  • image-2724477655.jpg
    image-2724477655.jpg
    294.7 KB · Views: 743
Hmmm, I don't see anyone complaining of an air raid or throttle body spacer. Seems like my jeep needs some torc. Ex: engine wants the gear in quick... I dunno I guess u can say I am a noob. I bought my jeep a month ago and I LOVE it, just curious on what to do and not to do. Great Thread BY the way! 👍

My worst decision has to be buying a Rock Krawler track bar, when my Terse Flex gave up the ghost I was talked into it. The little ball joint is held in by two hard metal spacers that allow it tins of flex...and since its harden metal, they crack. Went through three sets of spacers till I installed an R.E. with a rebuildable grim joint.

TrailRatedRN said:
How about these?

I have the same front bumper, src by smittybuilt. I still get compliments. The other plain tube bumpers, yuck! Not my cup of tea. Bumpers are like shoes, different styles come and go with the times. Everyone now like the stubby ones, which I do as well.

I have a couple.

I kind of regret buying so many jeeps simply to flip them for for a profit or parting them out.

My regrets for my YJ I've owned since new

Front and Rear D44's. I wish I invested the money and went straight to 1 tons.

or other end of the spectrum

Buying a trailer, removing my jeeps registration, beating and cutting up my jeep as much as I did. I miss simply jumping in and driving it down the street.

removed my washer fluid tube for the back windshield wiper lol its fun cause i can squirt my buddys at stop lights and in the school parking lot, but i go thrue washer fluid so fast lol

Hmmm, I don't see anyone complaining of an air raid or throttle body spacer. Seems like my jeep needs some torc. Ex: engine wants the gear in quick... I dunno I guess u can say I am a noob. I bought my jeep a month ago and I LOVE it, just curious on what to do and not to do. Great Thread BY the way! 👍

There is really nothing to complain about the spacer but there is also not a lot good to say. There is a big argument about whether they do anything more than make a whistling noise when accelerating. I have one along with a k&n intake and i thought there was a little bit of improvement in power but who knows.

southtj said:
There is really nothing to complain about the spacer but there is also not a lot good to say. There is a big argument about whether they do anything more than make a whistling noise when accelerating. I have one along with a k&n intake and i thought there was a little bit of improvement in power but who knows.

I am still debating on buying one. I been doing re search on it but nothing concrete these days unless you actually do get one for urself.

Brown Dog mml... They were too rigid and my wife didn't like riding in the jeep anymore with them in. They don't absorb enough of the vibrations and the drone going on the road at 60 was unbearable...

Back