Jeep newbie

jeepfann

I have a 95 yj with a 2.5. I am wanting to know if I put 33'" tires and a 2.5" lift with 1" shackles is there anything else I need to do other than front and rear axles? Could I salvage front and rear axles off a Ford explorer or some other vehicle that will hold up better and have a different gear ratio so my 4 banger doesnt work so hard? or do I need to change anything with the axles.

Tony

You might get away with just dropping the transfercase and keep the old shafts. I would put a SYE and a new shaft in there to be on the safe side. I would think the 2.5 would be a bit sluggish up hills and such with 33s without regearing. Your tires might rub too.

You might get away with just dropping the transfercase and keep the old shafts. I would put a SYE and a new shaft in there to be on the safe side. I would think the 2.5 would be a bit sluggish up hills and such with 33s without regearing. Your tires might rub too.

Wouldnt the 1" shackles help raise it more or do I need a 3" lift or larger and pardon my stupidity what is a SYE, remember im a newbie. I was also going to upgrade to a 62mm throttle body. Any help is appreciated.

Tony

4" of lift is recommended for 33" tires, You can get away with less but it will rub in certain conditions. If you plan on just driving around on the road you should be fine with the lift and not trimming. SYE is a slip yoke eliminator, changes the drive line angle of your driveshaft for lifted vehicles by doing away with the slip style yoke in your transfer case. YJ wheel openings are a bit smaller than TJs or the newer wranglers so cutting is a good idea. Get some offset wheels or spacers to offset the wheels.

I might have jumped the gun in my response. If you don't plan on beating this thing the stock axles should hold up fine with 33s. If anything I'd worry about the rear axle if or when it breaks.

Plan on regearing and only the explorer rear axle will swap in, with some fab and some drive shaft adjustments as well.

4" of lift is recommended for 33" tires, You can get away with less but it will rub in certain conditions. If you plan on just driving around on the road you should be fine with the lift and not trimming. SYE is a slip yoke eliminator, changes the drive line angle of your driveshaft for lifted vehicles by doing away with the slip style yoke in your transfer case. YJ wheel openings are a bit smaller than TJs or the newer wranglers so cutting is a good idea. Get some offset wheels or spacers to offset the wheels.

I have offset wheels, the 1" or 1.5" shackles do not help the 2.5 in lift? If I went to a 32" tire would it be better? I would really like 33's though. Is the slip yoke eliminator a must?

Plan on regearing and only the explorer rear axle will swap in, with some fab and some drive shaft adjustments as well.

What gearing is recomended and what do I need to do to the front

a 32 would be better if your not regearing. its not that its such a big tire, tis that it weighs alot more then a stock tire so it takes more torque to get it rolling

I just did an axle swap with a 94 YJ 4cyl/5spd because it had 4:10 gears
(my 89 6cyl/auto only had 3:07's)....

If you have 4:10's you should be fine with 32/33" tires

Back