jeep that needs a new engine, how much?

FishinSinsation

thinking about picking up a jeep that needs a new engine, how much would it cost to get a rebuilt v6 in a CJ-5?

i have very little mechanical abilities, but... i can do brakes, etc etc.. just not engine work

thanks

Casey :-? [addsig]

Welcome aboard! Tell us a bit more about the Jeep in question. What year ect... Are you sure it is in need of a rebuild? Or is there just something needen fixen. For the cost of paying someone to do an overhaul with parts and so on I would look into a Jasper or other company replacement so you know what you are getting. Plus the peace of mind that you are covered if it breaks. Just my 2cents tug[addsig]

well, i dont really have a jeep in mind yet.. was just wondering if this would be a good way to go when i start looking to buy a jeep, i know a lot of the older jeeps have a lot of miles, and could have possible problems down the road, i need this jeep to last, and get me where i wanna go with no worries, and i dont have the cash to buy a brand new one, so i was thinking.. find one that needs a new engine.. and replace it..

the jeep would be cheap, but what about the engine????

i plan to use this jeep for towing a drift boat, and taking it on muddy trails to the prime fishing spots :)
need somthing tough and strong.

if you can suggest best possible years to look for that would be great too

thanks

Casey
Puyallup-WA[addsig]

personaly I would ro with a YJ 1987 thru 1995. they are a little newer yet you can ge one at a good price. Modifacation parts are cheap and ez to find and I just like them much better than the old CJs. Everyone had an idea of what they like you know. As for what you say you want to do with the Jeep I would just get an inline 6 it will pull a drift boat just fine and get you where ever you want to go. Pick one up cheap enough and not have to do much to it. As for the down the road thing you will always need to to be doing something to you r jeep if you get one it is jsut a fact of life. Hope this helps out tug
[addsig]

ok, so would it be better to just get a jeep that runs good for the time being, i have another car so this one wont be my daily driver or anything, a lot of the places i fish are a good 100 miles each way, so i need somthing dependable, dont want to be breaking down on the highway with a drift boat, or stuck deep in the woods........

i only want to spend around 7k if possible...
and want under 60k miles if its a newer one

edited by: FishinSinsation, Feb 17, 2003 - 06:48 AM[addsig]

Should have no problem finding a good jeep with that kind of money to put in to it. A i6 is the way to go, very dependable. You will get a bunch of votes in different directions on this. TJ early years 1997 and up is not out of the question with 7K to spend. Look at ebay to get some ideas. I gave 3000.00 for my 87 4banger and love it so you are in the running for sure. The guys around here will fill you up with information over the next couple of days. hang in there I am the least knowledgeable person around these parts. Tell us a bit about your self where you hale from and etc.... You get a new home here good luck. Tug[addsig]

I like the staight 6 258. It has alot of low end torque and they are just about impossible to kill. I was looking on ebay and was surprised at how cheap they were going for. Not to mention they are so easy to work on. I say that as I am having a heck of a problem with the electrical system on mine (see subject Stinking electrical). Good luck :cool: [addsig]

Back