Just got back from Moab

cewtwo

Just got back from Moab.
Spent 4 very fun days there with a friend, a dog and the wonderful Jeep. I do have pictures and videos, but posting them will have to come later.

First day, we drove from Denver. Sun and warm conditions all day long. Took I-70 West to Crescent Junction in Utah, then US191 South to the Klondyke Bluffs trailhead. We drove Klondyke Bluffs all of the way to the end. They’ve closed more of the end the trail that leads to the hiking trail onto the Bluffs themselves. Several boulders were moved on the trail. It is kind of sad.
We double backed to where the trail goes over the ridge and followed the trail down to the Salt Valley Road in Arches NP. We found the “4X4 Road” that went to Balanced Rock. Great drive in February. Got a kick out the signage at the beginning at both ends. “May be impassable due to sandy conditions.” We did just fine. The sand was very compacted and very moist. It was dark by the time that we got out of the park. Great first day drive. We did not see a single other person on the trail that day.
The next day, we did Poison Spider Mesa. This one is an absolutely great, classic trail ride. Warm day but overcast all day long. There was lots of sand on the rocks today. We got a lot of tire chirps and soundings. The waterfall was a lot of fun. We did not try the wedge. I have never seen anyone run the wedge in person (only pictures). Some areas of the trail really made me feel alive and challenged. Great fun. This trail, we only saw a jogger.
We went to Kane Creek and took it to the Kane Springs trail. Started out with a well-marked trail, but after a while, it appeared as though there was a lowlands flood. Loose brush everywhere and the trail was fading. We ran across some people on three quads. One of them said that he had don the trail a month earlier and had no trouble. They could not find the trail either. We could have headed further South through the creek, but would have had to cut brush out of our way, so we turned around and headed out the way that we came in. Came out after dark again.
The next day was Saturday. Foggy and cold. Water covered everything. Didn’t get much rain, but the fog was enough to wet everything down.
We decided to do the Gemini Bridges trail. Easy enough and the weather shouldn’t affect it. Of course, we got at the turn off to the Gold Bar Rim and had to try it. We got as far as the first rock face obstacle, before we stopped. We looked at it. It did not seem to be too steep but it was very wet. We checked it with our shoes and slid all over the face of it. We decided to beat feet in the other direction.
We caught the Gemini Bridges trail again, but turned off at the Bull Canyon trail. We did the trail. Not very challenging, but very scenic. We spent time in Bull Canyon right under the Gemini Bridges.
We left Bull and Day Canyons, caught the Gemini Bridges trail again. We stopped for a while at Gemini Bridges then headed toward US313. We turned to the right and caught the Mineral Bottoms road. The road was horrific. The temperature was slowly dropping. The road surface ended up being a slushy kind of mess. Part red sand, part water, part ice, no traction and lots of splash back. We headed back to the highway and found the Dubinky Well road. Just before the Dubinky Well, we turned off onto Spring Canyon Road.
We knew of two trails that branch off of this trail and we rode both of them. They are the Dellenbaugh Tunnel trail and the Secret Spire trail.
I drove the Dellenbaugh Tunnel trail. It is short and is moderate. There are rock faces; cambers and small challenges that really made this a fun trail for me. We stopped at the tunnel and walked on through. It is in a wash. The wash is the cause for the tunnel. It cut through the solid rock dune. I thought of offering to le Tom (my friend) drive out, but it was so much fun that I did it myself. Selfish, ey?
Secret spire is another short drive. You can see the spire from Spring Canyon Road. Getting there was fun, but getting out was even more fun. Dunes and slickrock as well as other fun, Moab type stuff to navigate.
We then went all the way to the end of Spring Canyon Road. You can see the Green River about 1,000 feet down from the edge. It was getting dark as we headed back to Moab. This was the busiest day yet. We saw an SUV, a pickup and 2 motorbikes.
Sunday started in bright sunshine. The day warmed up quickly. We checked out of the hotel (great rates at this time of year, as well) and headed toward US128. The canyon that US128 cuts through is beautiful. The mesa and butte tops were gently covered in clouds. It was one of the most scenic views I have ever had of the canyon.
We got to Dewey Bridge. We took the Entrada Bluffs Road to the Top Of The World Trail turnoff. This was really fun. There was a lot of snow on the trail. We could just imagine what the weather was like the day before. A lot of the trail was red rock and slickrock with some real fun challenges. We had been following some tire tracks (we assumed that it was from the day before) but before long they turned around and headed out. We had some virgin snow on the rail in front of us. Before long we reached what appeared to be a parking area on the slickrock. Not too far was the edge of the butte. We approached it. As we got close, both of us developed a case of vertigo. I went all the way to the edge (on my apprehensive knees) while Tom hung back. What a view! Straight down several hundred feet with amazing views of the Moab valley. If you get a chance, take this trail!
The upper part of the Top Of The World trail is a loop. Both sides are a moderate, challenging trail.
We headed back to Dewey Bridge and then to Denver.
It was a great rip!

Re: RE: Re: TOP DOWN!!!

What a trip it must have been!

Long post, but a good read. I'm a jealous mofo! Can't wait for the pics.....TC, your post sounds like a line in a grateful dead song! :lol:

Sounds like a very fun time!

Now I can't wait to see the pictures!!

disc brake conversion d44

These are pictures from Poison Spider mesa-

Attachments

• jeep_1.jpg
    jeep_1.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 225
  • jeep_3.jpg
    jeep_3.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 187
  • jeep_4.jpg