klunk,klunk,klunk noise in 4-WD

jeeepers

Re: RE: Large turkey sub

Help! :( .....I put my 1995(inline 6cyl) Jeep Grand Cherokee in 4WD yesterday and it went ...klunk,klunk,klunk.....sounded bad.....pretty sure it is not trying to kick in....I can feel where it is in 4-wheel but still makes the bad klunk sound. When I put it back in 2-wheel it is fine(no noise).....but I would like to have a half-way good understanding of what could possibly be wrong when I take it in to be looked at.....I don't want to get completely trampled on...which being a single woman and not having anyone else go w/ me to take it in.....it is a good possibility I can very possibly not get the true scoop, and I don't want to have to fix a millions things that are not truly wrong w/ it.

I had the transmission rebuilt about two years ago(160k)....it has 190k miles on it now. By reading the previously posted messages....it sounds like it could be the u-joints on the front axle?? I think? anyone have a good idea of what it runs to fix that? and the time it takes?
Thanks for any help! :D

Go under it and grab the front driveline. Try to wiggle it and see if it moves at all. If it does, or there's any play in those u-joints...then that's your problem.

Otherwise, it is most likely in the transfer case. Or it could be in the front end, but it doesn't really sound like that's the case.

sounds like the u-joints... an easy fix if it is. another test is jack all 4 off the grond and put it in 4.. let the tires turn and have someoen listen... that will locate it real fast.

What model transfer case do you have (metal tag on back half of case, next to rear output)?

Do you have ujoints or CV joints in the front axleshafts? (Look for a rubber boot or ujoints behind the steering knuckle on each end of the front axle).

Back