Leak Problem

pfz111

I just put in a new water pump in my 1979 CJ5 with a 258. The old pump went bad and as a result the jeep severely overheated. I put a new pump in, new fan, all new belts, and everything went fine. But, the problem i have is that the other day I noticed a drip of coolant coming out from midway underneath the engine. Could the overheating have caused this, and is it anything to worry about. Or am I making too much of this drip -- perhaps it has always been there -- just the nature of an old CJ. Is there anything I can put in the radiator that might help reduce or seal the leak under the engine? Thanks![addsig]

Well how severely overheated are we talking here?...if it's as bad as you describe, it may be possible your head gasket is seeping. But you may just have a small leak around your pump. Either way you could try the old pepper trick...that never hurt, just put some pepper in the radiator, it'll plug the hole right up. But if it's leaking that bad and it seems like it's from between the head and the block, you might be in for some work....more info!...let us know what's up...i'm sure one of us will help ya out.[addsig]

Back