LED too dim

addotta

Hey out there! Here's one for you....

The led readout on the clock and the radio of my 88 cherokee are too dim to read...nothing I've tried has worked...i know they work cause if I lean real, real, real close and squint to the point that I could be blindfolded with dental floss, I can read what radio station it's on and what time it is....this can be very hazardous while driving...

Anyway, the interior dimmer works fine all lights are workng...gauges. dome, and even the controls for the radio dim and brighten...
Also, in the 88 just below where the clock is there is panel that looks like it might have lights in it, can anyone tell me what the contents of this panel is supposed to be?

THanks in advance
addotta[addsig]

hmm... i guess i have the same problem, my clock doesn't show up either. i just figured it simply doesn't work... but i just swapped out my stock radio with a JVC head unit, so i don't need those LED's to be fixed, but i'm interested as to a fix for the clock, that would be nice.

-nate[addsig]

In the '88 Cherokees, there is one of two types of clocks and neither are LED.

Type 1: The clock is a VFD (Vacuum Fluorescent Display) & glows a blueish color. This clock dims to a preset level when it receives power from the parking/head lamp switch. Either that switch is bad or there is a short somewhere making the clock think your parking/head lights are on. You cannot fix a bad VFD except by replacing it. This clock can also be identified by the word "Quartz"

Type 2: The clock is an LCD (Liquid crystal disply) with a standard light bulb behind it & glows green. This clock is dimmed by the rheostat dimmer in the parking/headlamp switch and through a relay. If this clock doesn't work, the light bulb can be replaced after removing the dash, unmounting the clock, pulling the bulb/ socket from the clock assembly, and replacing the light bulb. I had a problem in my Jeep where the wires for the lamp were making a bad connection, causing the clock to light intermittenly.

The relay mentioned above also controls the Radio lamps. Also, the stock radio's lamps can't be replaced. The panel directly under the clock display is just a blank and is part of the clock assembly.

Hope this helps
-Nick

edited by: XJNick, Apr 25, 2003 - 08:08 AM[addsig]

Thanks Nick...you gave me an idea...I decided to check the illumination relay...yep it's toast....2.49 fix and an hour to find the damn thing and lo and behold there be light in my radio and clock....

Thanks again[addsig]

addotta - you got mail :)[addsig]

Back