lift and tires??

jayysmith87

i own a 92 jeep with a 2.5l. i am now starting to fix it up already bought a new top and hardware ($600) and it already has a 1" body lift (came with it when i bought it) and 31" tires. i want to lift it enough for 33's but if i do that it will effect the speed i can barely get it to 70mph now which im fine with that.. its not a sports car i dont need to go fast anyways. but anyways wut kinda lift should i get or would need to get to make 33's work ok? and one more thing the posi lok? is that hard to hook up my jeeps 4X4 does not work now due to the vaccum lines?

i own a 92yj 2.4
i currently am running stock suspension and 31.5 tires.
i've research for a long time and narrowed it down to rubicon express and pro comp 4" lift. im going to run 32 or 33s once my tires run down. im on a budget. with ur 1" body lift if u go with 4" lift u can run 33s. i have the same problem with speed, but its a jeep so whatever. im ordering the kit sunday and will put pics up after i install it so u can see if u haven't done it yet.
make ur engine breath better to run bigger tires.
i have air intake, throttle body spacer, headers, exhaust... purchasing a chip and possibly electric supercharger soon if they actually work.
hope thIS helped.

You'll never make your 2.5 really fast, but you can tweak it some. If you end up with 33s, the best thing you could do would be regear it. You should also look into putting a 4.0 throttle body on it - never done it myself, but I've heard that it helps.

Could you elaborate on the posi lock problem? Are you saying that your four wheel drive doesn't work? If it's vacuum actuated, it should be relatively easy to fix (just replace the lines).

I've got 32s with a 5.5" lift and 4.56 gears. I never use 5th gear, and I'm content to run 55mph in the slow lane. Next step is 35s, and maybe 4.88s! The 4banger likes 2500 - 3500 rpms.

A 4" lift will clear 33" tires pretty well on a YJ, and consider regearing the axles to 4.88 down the road to get some performance back that you lost with the larger tires.

Also check out 4BangerJP.com - Index for some 4banger specific tech.

Helps tons. If you do the work your self, re-gearing cost about $400, thats 2 sets fo gears, and 2 master install kits. if you have someone do it, add another 600-800 for the labor. the going rate around here is $300-350 per axle for gears when the diff is in the truck, $200-250 with the axle out of the truck.

I run a '94 2.5L with 4" lift and 33's BFG KM2's. Of all the mods I have done, regearing is the most noticeable. If you are running 31's with 4.10 gears, 33 and 4.88 will bring you more or less to the same level (possible a little better, but not much, as you will have greater wind resistance with the wider and taller tires and more lift, so even though the math may show better than what you have, in reality dont expect this at highway speeds). Now, if you do a 4" lift, you WILL need to do a SYE and CV shaft, and you will need to adjust your rear pinion angle to avoid vibrations (read UNBEARABLE vibrations!).

Other things you can do to improve power is Ford eFan, a bigger TB (BountyHunter sells them), improved ignition with a Performance Distributors kit and plugs gapped to .060", a good filter (K&N and Fram Airhogs have worked well for me), better injectors (Mustang) and then you can go to the more expensive options such as cams, redoing the engine with .060 over or a supercharger or a turbo (all these mods you can read about at the link Bounty posted).

dam thats so expensive...

All the mods that will make drastic differences will run some dough; if you are looking for modest improvements without breaking the bank, I suggest you start with an eFan, 4.0L TB, high flow filter and PD ignition... But still, you will not get the gains a regear will bring (I still think they are worth to do, though!).

Back