Liftin' stuff

B192734

Hey all. I'm looking at getting the stuff to lift my Jeep, and was wondering what the best amount of lift is. I was looking at the 3.5" kits, but wasn't sure what I would need. I don't do all that much hardcore offroading, but quite a bit of goofing off around in the mud and fields and stuff like that. Sand, snow. That type of thing. Could I get by with 2 inches or should I go with the 4"?

2" is pretty much useless on an XJ. it would only allow you 30" tires. but, it really depends what you want, if you want 30s, 31s, whatever, you have to be the judge.

and honestly, it sounds like you don't have a lot of experience, nor do you plan on doing anything hardcore, i'd recommend 3-3.5" of lift and 31" tires. anything more than that on your rig and you're going to have an easier time getting you into trouble you can't get out of. there's one guy in my local club who beats the bags out of his rig and runs it completely stock, in the end, driver capability will make up for more than a 1-3" difference in tire size.

Well I've done quite a bit of messin' around, some real stuff, but mostly I'm not yet ready for this Jeep to be totally torn apart, because I still use it for my daily get to work vehicle. The plan is to eventually turn it into a completely recreation vehicle when it comes time to buy a new car. Then I'll use it for whatever comes up. But for now I don't want to go too far with it, and take away the ability to get to work, to make the money, to be able to play...

That's exactly where I'm at. I have an 89 YJ and I just sold my daily driver to buy it. (Making it, by default, my NEW daily driver/ Project Jeep) I have so many things I'd like to do, but can't really afford more than a weekend of downtime If I get broke! First I'm trying to get 33" s under her and then I'm going to have my buddy fab me a pair of rocker guards! I'd go for that 3.5" lift on an XJ as well...

Last edited:

you can search some of the old posts on here to find extensive information on 3" lifts. in short though, i would definitely recommend a 3" for your purposes. thats the exact setup i have and i have no complaints. it still makes a usable daily driver, and its capability on the trail is improved. check out www.rustysoffroad.com

Bounty__Hunter said:
Get a 3.5"-4.5" kit and run 31" tires, nice looking and working setup for the XJ.
agreed. The link posted by mujaman to Rusty's is a good place to start looking. another is www.jeepinoutfitters.com.

as for a 2" BB, it will clear 30" tires, and that setup is an improvement over stock (it'll give you about 3" or so extra clearance at the belly between lift and tires over the stock stance) but the cherokees sit pretty low in stock form.

Most who get a 2" BB end up taking it off and going higher, you might be an exception, but I would seriously consider going higher now instead of lifting it twice.

TwistedCopper said:
Most who get a 2" BB end up taking it off and going higher, you might be an exception, but I would seriously consider going higher now instead of lifting it twice.

I'm with him. I've had a 2"BB on for about 4 months now and I'm looking to put on a 3.5" RE kit in the near future.

How high would you have to go before you start having to replace other parts to make them fit right again? Like Brake lines and steering.

you won't have to make any major changes for anything under 4-4.5" (depending on the year). however, even with a 3" lift, you may still have a few issues that have to be addressed... its different with every jeep. a 3" lift doesn't necessarily REQUIRE that you get new components (tracbar, swaybar, control arms, etc.), but you may find somewhere down the road that OEM components have worn a little faster and need replaced or that your jeep will just perform even better if you do swap out your old stuff for some better-fitting components.

to sum all that up... you can throw anything under 4-4.5" onto your jeep right out of the box and not have to worry about changing much of anything. your typical 3" lift kit will be relatively cheap, allow 31's, and come with everything you need.

anything over 3" and you'll need longer control arms, a transfer case lowering kit, an adjustable trackbar, and longer brake lines.

That said, like mentioned above at 3" you could have issues. They all seem to have different results.

you mentioned looking at 3.5" kits, and I would recommend you look at the RUbicon Express 3.5" kits. The only thing you might need that they do not come with would be an adjustable trackbar. Any time you lift a jeep, be it 2" or 8", the stock trackbar will pull the axle to one side. there are brackets out there to correct that but in a nutshell, they're junk and although they center the axle they throw off the steering geometry.

I would plan on getting an adjustable trackbar no matter what lift you get except maybe if you did in fact end up getting a 2" BB.

decent prices on RE (most are with free shipping and shocks):

http://www.jeepinoutfitters.com/scripts/prodList.asp?idCategory=62

i had a my 86 XJ on a set of 3 inch over skjackers and 3 inch blocks in the rear..the srings were all nice and worn in and flexed great for off road..this whole set up cost me about 200$..plus anotehr 200 for shocks give or take..it was a great system for the money..however i think with the lifts getting bigger and the more wheelin u do the more ur gonan get hooked ..ur gonna want to go bigger..id get a 4.5/..i STRONGLY DO NOT recommend getting anything with an add a leaf in it..there cheaper but my new jeep has one..and it wont flex to save its life...and u can get away with more than a 3inch without buying new control arms..im running 4.5-5 inch with stocks..but thats probly why it doesnt flex good..hopefully this is somwhat useful to you.

hes deff rigth baout track bars tho..i think the best track bar kit out there right now is the rustys HD..with the poly bushing end on top and bottom ,instead of the tie road or heim type that will get damage from binding if u drop ur passenger side wheel to far during a flex..the poly end will drop an infinite amount ,allowing greater flex and a much tighter connection to prevent Death wobble...uve heard of death wobble right??lol

I'm going to be doing things in stages with the bettering of Mr. Jeep. Is the track bar something that could be put on before the lift or should I wait and put it on after or the same time? Mostly the problem that I'm running into right now is the cost factor. Doing it step at a time is easier on the old bank account. what'cha think?

i think the best track bar kit out there right now is the rustys HD..with the poly bushing end on top and bottom ,instead of the tie road or heim type that will get damage from binding if u drop ur passenger side wheel to far during a flex..the poly end will drop an infinite amount ,allowing greater flex and a much tighter connection to prevent Death wobble...uve heard of death wobble right??lol
Agreed if you are using the Jeep as a daily driver, that is the best type to go with.

I replaced the joint on my Rubicon Express trackbar twice in 2 years or so driving it on the road as a commuter.

Back