Lookin for opinions for project

indiana98

O.K. I am about ready to order a new frame for my project. I am leaning toward a CJ-8 bobbed frame and body from either Matkins Extreme or JP Offroad, whoever will give me the best deal. My question is this: I can get the frame with either a TJ style coil spring suspension, or I can get it set up to run full-width GM axles with leaf springs. I was going to go with the coils and run Currie 9 inch front and rear but the price of those axles will make me compromise on the engine, trans, and t-case I want. I can get a set of 3/4 ton chevy axles (dana 44 front, 14 bolt full float rear) and run a 350 with NV 4500 and Atlas II, or I can get the 9 inch Curries and run a stock 4.0 with the NP231 and a slip yoke. Not to mention that the coil spring suspension kits cost more than twice as much. I sold my 98 TJ to do this so I'm serious.

My main wheeling is mud and hills, but every once in a while I would like to go and do some rocks in the Badlands in Attica, IN.

Also, if anybody runs full width axles, do you get hassled by cops too much about the tires sticking out? I will rarely have this thing on the road but I want to be able to every once in a while.

So, answer the poll and then give me some pros and cons.

why not put 37 on the 9incher? i am almost sure that it can handle it especally since it will have currie axle shafts in it.

do what you want man i htink them 9 in. rears can hadle well up to 44's so i mean you should be fine dude...9 incs front dynatrac prorock 60 in the rear!!!and 16 in coilovers! and 4.88 gears lol sry thats my dream

Save some cash, go with the GM! Available in any junk yard for short cash compared to currie 9 inchers!
The pinion on the currie is a low pinion 9 inch, for like $500 more they will toss in a high pinion 3rd member (nice of them huh.) The GM 12 bolt or 14 bolt incorporated axles are center pinion. The front D44 found in most 1/2 ton chevy's and GMC's are a "High Steer" knuckles and the parts to adapt the steering are fairly easy to come by or fabricate. I had the 12 bolt and D44 set up in my 77 blazer, and other than gears I ran 38 inch tires successfully for years with no problem. Just beware of those dreaded C clips!

Back